Teach for America

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Tough but Worth Your Effort if You Can Stomach the Challenge

Former Employee - Corps Member in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Corps Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm very glad that I completed my corps commitment now that it is over. There were so many times that I wanted to quit my first year, but I survived. My perception is that the support has gotten better since I left the corps.

Cons

I really was not a good teacher my first year, I feel guilty about that, but I really did put in absolutely as much effort as was physically possible. I was a good teacher my second year and I stayed in my placement school a third year trying to make up for the damage I caused during that awful first year.

I actually really like the new changes that have been implemented over the past year, I think they are setting a promising direction for the corps experience.

423 Other Employee Reviews for Teach for America (View Most Recent)

Part-Time Phone Interviewing--flexible opportunity to contribute to the organization.

Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Phone Interviewer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Teach for America part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, thorough training, support from staff, opportunity to contribute to a meaningful organization.

Cons

Need to take thorough and accurate notes very quickly.

Difficult but rewarding

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TFA is an excellent organization for professional development and has a very supportive culture. Supervisors constantly push you to be better. The work is very hard, but it is the most rewarding thing I've done in my life. TFA makes advocates for education, and my experience will affect the rest of my career.

Cons

This is the toughest job I can imagine. There are lots of demands on your time and energy, but it's worth it. Do not apply for TFA if you're trying to build your resume; you must be truly passionate about helping kids to make it through your commitment. You also need to be able to dedicate all of yourself to this mission for two years. Work/life balance is pretty difficult to achieve. The worst part about TFA's incentives: You have to pay taxes on the AmeriCorps award when you use it. Also, paying for certification costs in certain states can be extremely expensive and feel wasteful if you don't plan to stay in education.

Find a way to help pay for Corps Member's certification classes -- we're not paid enough to meet these high costs in some states. Also, find a way to help CMs build resumes for their fields post-commitment.

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America