There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Lots of work... but totally worth it.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Math Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will have really long hours and very difficult days where everything seems dire... but you will undoubtably go through a life-changing experience with your students.

Cons

Sometimes feels very corporate and disorganized. Insider culture. Working with kids and administration is tough.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability.

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Seriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
    Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

Cons

At the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.

2. One of the most important jobs in the world

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at Teach for America (More than a year)

Pros

TFA meetings tend to be very motivational when taken with a grain of salt. I appreciate that they are so passionately mission-driven; too often other companies get bogged down in the little details. Yet, they are scrupulously organized with the little details, too.

Cons

The work-life balance is awful. I also feel that the organization has lost their focus on TEACHING, instead they are distracted by LEADING in every economic sector in the nation, it seems (law, politics, health, educational admin, etc. etc.)... yet all for the mission.

Advice to Management

Remember, we TEACH for America. Teaching is a public service. It's not about you, it's about the kids.