Teachers on Reserve

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Glendale, CA
Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best places I have ever worked. I substituted all over the Los Angeles area (from the San Fernando Valley to Pasadena to Hollywood to south LA and had the opportunity to see Charter, religious and private schools and got many ideas about how many different types schools are run, their discipline policies, what works well and what doesn't work at all. I got much, much more experience out of this one year of subbing than my teaching degree program

Cons

Really can't think of any

8 Other Employee Reviews for Teachers on Reserve (View Most Recent)

Teachers on Reserve is a great company.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time for less than a year

Pros

I am a current employee at Teachers on Reserve, and it has been a great experience. I moved to southern California from Michigan in the beginning of this school year. I was credentialed in another state to teach and had my application in to get a California credential. Receiving the credential took a lot longer than I thought it would, and by the time that I had it, schools were already in session. Teachers on Reserve not only gave me the chance to substitute teach, but they also helped me to make connections and find great schools that I could see myself teaching in.
    The dispatch staff is great as well. They are very friendly and helpful with any questions you may have. It has been such a great opportunity working with them. The staff goes above and beyond to help with placing you in the right schools and preparing young teachers for their futures. I usually mark my availability at 5 days a week, and I rarely have days that I do not get called (unless it is a holiday or schools are not in session). The dispatch staff works really hard to place you in schools near your home as well, which is really awesome.

Cons

There are not many schools open during the holidays, so there are few jobs in late December/early January. Also, on slow days, TOR may have to ask you to sub at a school that is quite a long ways from where you live (you can say that you do not want to travel that far, but they may not be able to place you anywhere else for the day).

Teachers On Reserve is Professional and Flexible

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teachers On Reserve is a fantastic company to work for. I have been employed as a substitute teacher by Teachers On Reserve for almost three years. They are professional
    and very well organized.
         Before working for TOR I was employed by another company who, like TOR, sent substitute teachers to work at charter schools. This company wasn’t even one tenth as organized as TOR and by my second year working for TOR I decided to work solely for them.
         As a substitute teacher TOR has helped me to foster professional relationships by matching me up with schools that fit my expertise (I graduated with a degree in film/theatre and I am currently obtaining my CA single subject credential in English). Many times I was contacted for jobs that fit my interest, such as subbing for English teachers, photography teachers, and film studies teachers. One of the things I like best about working for Teachers On Reserve is that they tend to place me near my home and in schools that I really enjoy being at. Their system is set up so that if you do well at a school the school may request you back (and if you really like being at one school, you may request that school). Once I established relationships with many of their client schools I was asked to come back and often booked in advance. This is great for a substitute teacher!
         In the three years that I have been working for them I have gotten to know them well, even if only by over the phone. Ritu is always cheerful and friendly while Ketryn seems to know exactly which jobs would suite me. Skye, who hired me, is always very positive and pleasant over the phone and Diane has always been accommodating with my special requests or need for a flexible schedule. Recently, I’ve needed to take a leave of absence due to having a baby. I continued to work for TOR up until I gave birth and they continued to accommodate me due to my being pregnant.
         If you are looking to work as a substitute teacher, Teachers on Reserve is an excellent choice!

Cons

Cons of working for TOR may include lack of year round employment (at least for high school teachers) and occasional lack of employment due to not enough job requests or school holidays.

There are newer employer reviews for Teachers on Reserve

Worked for Teachers on Reserve? Contribute to the Community!