Teavana
www.teavana.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Thank God we're a franchise.

Sales Associate/Teaologist (Current Employee)
Columbia, MD

ProsWithout the sales pressure that the corporate branches get dealt, this is a wonderful place to work. Our store doesn't have to work with regional managers or corporate training at all. We are taught (by each other) to appreciate the history, quality and beauty of tea, and genuinely try to help others embrace it, or at least use it to improve their health in small steps. The store owners let us govern ourselves, and we're fine with that. The hiring process is rigorous, with all employees giving input on which candidates (we often see them when they come in to apply or check on their status) are or are not fit for the job. All of us deeply love and respect tea, and we try to hire only people in whom we see that potential. Overall, this location - a franchise, one of two left in the entire company - is a laid-back store, without the daily pressure of meeting an unrealistic sales goal. With good merchandise and pleasant salespeople, it just happens on its own. Our discount is 50% on drinks (off the clock), 40% on loose tea, and 30% on everything else. Drinks are free on the clock. We get to wear what we want as long as it's appropriate, and we're close enough with the general manager that hours are flexible and plentiful. Being a part of this single franchise location is a dream.

ConsAny and all corporate ties our store holds are awful. Dealing with shipments is a huge pain (they even get shipped to the store owners' house sometimes), and we're always the last to hear about corporate news. There is regular workplace stress, as sales in teas are rising and sales in teaware are in decline, so profits are kind of skewed. More people want to buy loose teas for their health than they do an expensive pot to brew in, and adjusting to that curve is difficult. With the kind of expansion this company is looking to make, maintaining high quality product is a serious concern and a difficulty - we used to sell fine cast iron and bone china sets, the real deal. Now we sell more imitation-china sets (made with dangerously thin 'soft' ceramic, instead of the 'hard' ceramic of bone). Product quality is definitely in decline across the board to accomodate more locations. It's not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo CORPORATE: stop with the pushy sales! Please! Customers are much happier when they're given a genuine choice of product and told the absolute truth about it. They're more likely to buy a high-quality product over a lower quality one if you can honestly tell them, "this one is better," or if you can seem genuinely interested in finding the best product match for their needs. That does not mean overexaggeration or constant upselling. That act is transparent, and any savvy customer can tell they're being essentially dehumanized. Nearly every negative review of this company has been based on a seriously unpleasant experience with a salesperson. Silver Needle is not the rarest tea in the world by far, as a corporate-trained salesperson will boast - but Teavana's cut is one of the youngest and purest available, especially in such bulk. Sales should be based on THAT kind of point. They should be more centered around where the tea comes from and how it's produced, which is the true beauty of it. Salespeople should know everything about the tea, right down to the esteemed plantation on which it's grown. The training process really, really, really needs to change - most of my happiness comes from being allowed to tell a customer the truth about their tea of choice.

Agressive sales but possibility to move up quickly

"teaologist" Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros: Somewhat quick to move up in the company (especially to… Cons: There is a reason you can move up quickly and it doesn't all have to do with expansion. You will often get mixed messages of… Advice to Senior Management: Some of the sales tac tics maybe outdated to when the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fun job for people NOT in need of money

Sales Associate/Teaologist (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros: free tea weekly pay fun environment Teavana can be a very fun place to work as many of the people that work there are just really cool people,… Cons: hours are hard to come by and are not steady Training can be way too time consuming. Let me start off by saying that I am a… Advice to Senior Management: Hours based simply on how much you sell is quite unfair… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Teavana.

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teavana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack. All reviews posted anonymously by Teavana employees.