There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Needs a LOT of Improvements.

Former Employee - Team Leader
Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a Teavana Employee for 2 years, here's a detailed review. While I have many disappointments about this company, there are a few perks which I enjoyed while working there: -Free cups of tea while you work, Unlimited amount! It's a great way to get to know all the teas first hand and give accurate feedback to customers, help them with purchasing. -Generous 40% discount for employees, which is really nice. -Upbeat environment, and beautiful displays. My store was small so clean up usually is easier. -Many of my coworkers were great to work with. It's mostly a young/hip crowd. I've made really good friends while I was there. -Promotions: They're always searching for a new GM or AGM, etc, in many new stores and existing stores, as well as corporate positions if you have worked in the company long enough. Since this company is expanding there are many opening positions and new positions for people to fill, so promotions are fairly quick that is If you do well in the company (sales, management, etc). I was asked to attend the 2 weeks training at HQ. -Education: They do provide excellent training in tea, tea products, etc. The training manual explains everything, and has flashcards to help you study.

Cons

-Pay: Minimum wage. You get a 25 cent raise every year, or at least at my store. Unless you get promoted to a team lead or an assistant manager, or a GM, then don't expect the pay to be that much. There is a bonus structure, but you only get it once you hit your monthly goal. Whether you get it or not may depend on your store volume, and your sales skills. -Hours: The hours are dependent on your sales, if you do well you are guaranteed a consistent amount of hours. If you do not, then your hours will be cut…Kind of unfair because it may just be a slow week for you. And those who are trying to make up their sales will not get their chance if their hours are cut, and that leads to quitting, finding other jobs etc. Also one of the reasons for the HIGH TURNOVER rate. -Sampling: I think many of the current/past employees will agree with me, Sampling is the most monotonous, draining task during shifts. -Sales Process: The sales process works, to a certain extent. However, I felt dishonest when I was selling because of the "script" and how manipulative it is. You have to be pushy to a certain point, but Teavana takes it to a whole different level. -Unrealistic Goals: There are several ways you are scored. Your total sales, your $ per hour, your average ticket, how much you sold of the indicators, cast iron, etc etc. The company sets goals that are hard to reach, and at times impossible. It makes your work stressful, because you want your bonus, but only so many people are coming in to the store and not buying anything. -Management: The company sees $$$, so if you sell well, you get promoted quickly. However, that does not mean those who are promoted to managers, will make good managers. As long as you sell a ton, the company won't care. If you don't sell well enough, all hell breaks loose and you might get written up and get fired. -The stress on how to make good tea etc. Okay so this may be a good thing as well, but I feel like Teavana makes the entire process way too complicated than what it is. All the temperature measurement, the amount of tea to put in, the best way to make tea Which by the way is NOT cast iron, blah blah blah. Guess what? None of that actually matters outside of the USA, because no body's that meticulous about making their tea (Unless you're in a freaking tea ceremony), the whole point of drinking tea is Zen and comfort, not stress and annoyance. When I was in Asia EVERYONE drank tea, and guess what? They're not doing ANYTHING that Teavana teaches to its customers. I went to a green tea capital in China, and the way they sell tea and drink tea is so organic, and simple. And nope you don't even need a tin :) Honestly, I stayed at my store because of the wonderful people. I quit in the end because I was leaving for a long vaca after graduation, and saw it as the perfect time to say good riddance.

Advice to Management

Change your sale tactics. The pushiness is uncomfortable. Know who deserves to be promoted. Don't just recognize the money that one person is bringing in, find good leadership! Chill out, relax. It's just tea!

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. An alright company to work for if you aren't bothered by your conscience or common sense.

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

-Lots free tea. -Learning about the tea is highly encouraged. -High quality tea

Cons

-Extremely monotonous at times. You are required to stand outside the shop for hours and offer samples to passersby. -Their sales training includes subtle ways of misleading people. Ex: We tell people to use one tsp. of tea or rock sugar per cup of water, but when we make samples or cups of tea for people, we will use four times the recommended amount or more. -Hard sales tactics: you must be comfortable asking for a sale again and again, even when the customer is trying to escape your clutches. -Constant micro-management -Associates are encouraged to do things, such as closing/cleaning for the day, quickly instead of correctly. -We are taught to think of customers as sheep who will buy anything with purported health benefits. This has proven to be partially true. -Though the tea is high quality, some of the blends are more cheap fruit than "high quality tea leaves". This combined with the Con above, compounds the unethical connotations of recommending a tea blend to help someone with their cancer or health issues.

Terrible

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea, and that's about it.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. Sales. We're in a low traffic mall, in a low income area, and they expect us to sell 400 dollars worth of tea daily each. If you don't, you get in trouble. THIS ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT FROM A TEA STORE. Tea is supposed to be relaxing and healthy, which is literally the opposite of what this job has done to me. I'm not even a "bad review" type of person! I don't go out of my way to rate things poorly, but I really have to warn people about this! Avoid working here, you can find a better job with less stress.

Advice to Management

STOP WITH PUSHY SALES, TELLING EMPLOYEES TO "AVOID" PIECES OF THE TRUTH ETC.