Fun environment, but very pushy

Current Employee - Team Member
Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free tea on the job
Nice management (or at least some of them)
Nice co-workers

Cons

The job is sales-based so you are forced to get tea sales or else. I can understand working around making as much money as possible but what killed me is that employees must bring in an average of $100 per hour of work (that pissed me off)! You're not guaranteed a sale from customers even when you push them to the brink. It feels like you play the customers as stupid and they see right through your tactics a lot of the times. Just make sure you're a persuasive person.

Plleeease remove the employee quota and life will be so much easier for us employees!

Other Reviews for Teavana

Working for experience, not for satisfaction

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Teavana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free tea on the job, wonderful coworkers, opportunities for advancement, amazing and loyal customers when leadership has the wherewithal to balance aggressive sales goals with good old fashioned customer service, great place for someone with little management experience to learn the ropes. Let me stress that I run one of the top performing stores in this company, and have never missed my bonus. As a GM, I make what I consider to be excellent money.

Cons

Terrible communication from home office, little accolades for jobs well done (especially from home office to store management.) Upper level promotion to favorites, not by experience and/or ability. Many promotions granted with no publication of job openings. New payroll system over-calculates payroll used, making it necessary to waste time calculating hours to ensure bonus. Overworked area managers incapable of properly communicating and developing general managers. Growth too fast without proper infrastructure to support existing stores. Incompetent upper management leaves anyone with true talent and drive exceedingly frustrated. Pay for GMs keeps getting lower and lower (sometimes as low as 32K with little opportunity to bonus due to poor store placement in markets that are not capable of supporting this type of luxury item.) Teavana will promote anyone who is a driven top seller, but does little to prepare these people for actual management, causing many inconsistencies across the board.

This is a sales driven job. Congratulate, celebrate and recognize your top performers - sending out the top 40 sellers sporadically isn't enough. Be consistent. It has been over a month since a "Tea Scoop" (weekly newsletter with job openings, news and accolades) has been sent. Communicate more often. Running out of tea during the Starbucks acquisition was possibly the most frustrating and scary thing that has occurred during my tenure, but no communication was passed along. Focus WAY more on the customer and sales will increase without having to stress sales goals as your prime focus. Instead of sending everyone to training in Atlanta, send trainers to specific areas and host smaller and more specific sales seminars. Use conference calls for training, not just numbers review. Value your employees. Encourage work life balance.

Extremely toxic environment

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free tea on the job
    You meet many nice customers
    Making friends with other mall employees
    Playing around with the tea and creating new blends anyone can love

Cons

Having to constantly sell or your hours are cut in half
    Toxic environment, stress will cause you to want to commit suicide
    No consistent hours
    Extremely low pay
    Favoritism towards employees
    Lying to customers
    They do not care for your mental health
    You are expendable, they will get rid of you if they can

Calm down
    Actually teach your employees in a healthy manner instead of strangling them to the point where one of them is contemplating suicide
    Mental health is more important than the pushy sales goals
    Lying is wrong

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana.

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!