There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

If you like bad jobs, and being treated poorly, you'll love it

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Barista in North Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Barista in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free tea while you're working is nice if you ever drink it It will make most other jobs you have in the future seem better

Cons

Incompetent management Inconsistent and constantly changing schedule so you don't know when you're working unless you come in every day to check Terrible company values Taught to lie to sell people things they can't afford Unrealistic sales goals Unsanitary working environment as in barely got a C from health inspector Not properly compensated for work or the way your treated

Advice to Management

Starbucks should really take over and clean house with management

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea drinks on or off the clock. Most of the people who work here are super nice. I've visited multiple Teavanas before working with this company, and everyone has a sincere enthusiasm for the tea (not so much the tea products) 40% discount on everything except sale items.

Cons

I'm not sure if it's like this at most Teavana locations, but I was barely trained. Normally, I'd be okay with this because you are supposed to learn a lot of things on your own in life, right? However, this company essentially requires you to know every fact and detail about all 110 of its different teas!! The training book I was given said this would be learned over a 3-week training process, but my manager at the time of my employment only taught me about our six different tea samples and our most expensive tea pots (which I was encouraged to ruthlessly force upon any of my customers) during three 3-hour training dates after which I was told to go out and sell. I did read the 200+ page training manual on my own time, but seriously, I don't think I can effectively help customers learn about our HUGE range of teas and methods of making tea in such a short amount of time. Not only was I barely trained, but we are also expected to meet sales goals. Granted, this is a great motivator for employees to actually work here because it's pretty easy to get lost in the calming atmosphere. However, methods of meeting sales goals are distributed very unfairly. From what I've observed, the only method of meeting your sales goals for the day are if you're actually selling the tea. Most tea enthusiasts already have a way of making their tea, so showing them more pots and strainers is basically useless. Also, this job turns typically wonderful people into catty, ruthless demons. The environment becomes less friendly and more competitive when you're expected to meet sales goals in an already unfair setting. Multiple times, I've had coworkers steal my customers (and vice versa) because it some times feels impossible to make your sales goals if you don't. No wonder why we always have the "Now Hiring" sign up in our window....

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees instead of letting them misinform people. Make this a less competitive environment! I get that you're trying to motivate people, but it just feels sour working here when you're basically competing against people you actually think are kind of pleasant. Be MUCH more fair in your work distribution. I'm not sure if it's because I had a faulty manager, but this was a very unfair work experience....

Thank God we're a franchise.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without the sales pressure that the corporate branches get dealt, this is a wonderful place to work. Our store doesn't have to work with regional managers or corporate training at all. We are taught (by each other) to appreciate the history, quality and beauty of tea, and genuinely try to help others embrace it, or at least use it to improve their health in small steps. The store owners let us govern ourselves, and we're fine with that. The hiring process is rigorous, with all employees giving input on which candidates (we often see them when they come in to apply or check on their status) are or are not fit for the job. All of us deeply love and respect tea, and we try to hire only people in whom we see that potential. Overall, this location - a franchise, one of two left in the entire company - is a laid-back store, without the daily pressure of meeting an unrealistic sales goal. With good merchandise and pleasant salespeople, it just happens on its own. Our discount is 50% on drinks (off the clock), 40% on loose tea, and 30% on everything else. Drinks are free on the clock. We get to wear what we want as long as it's appropriate, and we're close enough with the general manager that hours are flexible and plentiful. Being a part of this single franchise location is a dream.

Cons

Any and all corporate ties our store holds are awful. Dealing with shipments is a huge pain (they even get shipped to the store owners' house sometimes), and we're always the last to hear about corporate news. There is regular workplace stress, as sales in teas are rising and sales in teaware are in decline, so profits are kind of skewed. More people want to buy loose teas for their health than they do an expensive pot to brew in, and adjusting to that curve is difficult. With the kind of expansion this company is looking to make, maintaining high quality product is a serious concern and a difficulty - we used to sell fine cast iron and bone china sets, the real deal. Now we sell more imitation-china sets (made with dangerously thin 'soft' ceramic, instead of the 'hard' ceramic of bone). Product quality is definitely in decline across the board to accomodate more locations. It's not good.

Advice to Management

To CORPORATE: stop with the pushy sales! Please! Customers are much happier when they're given a genuine choice of product and told the absolute truth about it. They're more likely to buy a high-quality product over a lower quality one if you can honestly tell them, "this one is better," or if you can seem genuinely interested in finding the best product match for their needs. That does not mean overexaggeration or constant upselling. That act is transparent, and any savvy customer can tell they're being essentially dehumanized. Nearly every negative review of this company has been based on a seriously unpleasant experience with a salesperson. Silver Needle is not the rarest tea in the world by far, as a corporate-trained salesperson will boast - but Teavana's cut is one of the youngest and purest available, especially in such bulk. Sales should be based on THAT kind of point. They should be more centered around where the tea comes from and how it's produced, which is the true beauty of it. Salespeople should know everything about the tea, right down to the esteemed plantation on which it's grown. The training process really, really, really needs to change - most of my happiness comes from being allowed to tell a customer the truth about their tea of choice.