Teavana

www.teavana.com
  www.teavana.com
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Friendly but also great oriented enviroment

I have been working at Teavana part-time

Pros

co-workers are really kind and they help train you, and give some insight and such by telling you their pasts in the company.

Cons

none that i can think really

330 Other Employee Reviews for Teavana (View Most Recent)

Fun environment, but very pushy

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free tea on the job
    Nice management (or at least some of them)
    Nice co-workers

Cons

The job is sales-based so you are forced to get tea sales or else. I can understand working around making as much money as possible but what killed me is that employees must bring in an average of $100 per hour of work (that pissed me off)! You're not guaranteed a sale from customers even when you push them to the brink. It feels like you play the customers as stupid and they see right through your tactics a lot of the times. Just make sure you're a persuasive person.

Plleeease remove the employee quota and life will be so much easier for us employees!

Working for experience, not for satisfaction

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tea on the job, wonderful coworkers, opportunities for advancement, amazing and loyal customers when leadership has the wherewithal to balance aggressive sales goals with good old fashioned customer service, great place for someone with little management experience to learn the ropes. Let me stress that I run one of the top performing stores in this company, and have never missed my bonus. As a GM, I make what I consider to be excellent money.

Cons

Terrible communication from home office, little accolades for jobs well done (especially from home office to store management.) Upper level promotion to favorites, not by experience and/or ability. Many promotions granted with no publication of job openings. New payroll system over-calculates payroll used, making it necessary to waste time calculating hours to ensure bonus. Overworked area managers incapable of properly communicating and developing general managers. Growth too fast without proper infrastructure to support existing stores. Incompetent upper management leaves anyone with true talent and drive exceedingly frustrated. Pay for GMs keeps getting lower and lower (sometimes as low as 32K with little opportunity to bonus due to poor store placement in markets that are not capable of supporting this type of luxury item.) Teavana will promote anyone who is a driven top seller, but does little to prepare these people for actual management, causing many inconsistencies across the board.

This is a sales driven job. Congratulate, celebrate and recognize your top performers - sending out the top 40 sellers sporadically isn't enough. Be consistent. It has been over a month since a "Tea Scoop" (weekly newsletter with job openings, news and accolades) has been sent. Communicate more often. Running out of tea during the Starbucks acquisition was possibly the most frustrating and scary thing that has occurred during my tenure, but no communication was passed along. Focus WAY more on the customer and sales will increase without having to stress sales goals as your prime focus. Instead of sending everyone to training in Atlanta, send trainers to specific areas and host smaller and more specific sales seminars. Use conference calls for training, not just numbers review. Value your employees. Encourage work life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana