Teavana

www.teavana.com
  www.teavana.com
There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Uncomfortable working environment, bad company policies

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danbury, CT
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danbury, CT

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not bad for a first job experience.

Cons

Manager was rude and impersonal. Company policies were ridiculous. Uncomfortable working environment.

330 Other Employee Reviews for Teavana (View Most Recent)

It was a fruitful disaster,

Current Employee - Visual Team Leader in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Visual Team Leader in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) given the privilege to have free cups of tea during your shift
    2) receive 40% off all merchandise and loose leaf tea
    3) Learn to be an amazing salesperson with rigorous tasks that no other sales job would ever have you do.

Cons

The amount we are paid isn't properly justified for the amount of effort we exert and the intensity of the sales process we are forced to perform immaculately.

I prefer honesty to be the best policy, but Teavana certainly does not have this with the customer in mind.

Avoid, unless you thrive in unnecessarily high-stress environments.

Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free tea on/off the clock. 40% merch & tea. Pay is weekly. Usually you have fantastic coworkers.

Cons

Very aggressive sales methods, shady ethics (you often are pushed to lie or withhold information from customers), the training is full of misinformation about tea. Prices are ridiculous for some teas, like white tea blends where there is more dried fruit etc than actual tea but you have to convince customers it's worth the substantial cost. Management and moving up in the company is not as easy or as fair as they make it sound. It's often based on favoritism and high sales rather than actual management skills or apptitudes, this tends to screw plenty of deserving people out of a job. They will also tell you that you are promoted from within, when sometimes they will just ignore hard working team members and hire a manager from outside the company. All This usually causes incompetent management and resentment throughout the stores. Not a good environment. The commission is utter crap, given it's a measly 2% of monthly sales ONLY if you make the $ 90/hour sales goal, which can be impossible if you only ever work slow weekday evenings. Schedules are based on sales performance, and since the economy is still crippled they're cutting any extra hours they can, don't expect to get hours unless you are absolutely killing it in sales, even if they assured you full time when you were hired, which some managers will. The sales pressure and the unfair practices combine to make a really stressful job. Every single one of my coworkers who have lasted past six months are almost always stressed, angry, or demoralized by the job. Upper management for my area is awful, there is a manager will not even LOOK at you if you are not at least an assistant manager. Way to remind us of how expendable we are. Not to mention we had a manager in training who was blatantly racist and made fun of staff members, lied to customers outright. These are the kinds of people who often get promotions just because they have good sales. numbers.

Stop treating your employees like retail cannon fodder, make more realistic sales goals or do away with them altogether, make advancing through the company fair, get rid of the employees who demoralize staff regardless of what kind of sales they make- they are bad for business! And please, stop with the extreme sales methods, customers hate it.

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana