Overwhelming and Stressful! Not good for a first job!

Former Employee - Teaologist/Tea Maker  in  Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Teaologist/Tea Maker in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free drinks on the clock.
Awesome discounts (sometimes free merchandise)
Amazing co-workers :)
Really helps boost your people and communication skills
Sometimes you meet wonderful people

Cons

Too much pressure on sales goals. It's really ridiculous because what you sell, it's NEVER enough. You're constantly trying to convince customers to buy over-priced tea/tea sets/merchandise. Constantly trying to up-sell when the customers really aren't even interested. When customers just want to browse and look around you always have to go and bother them with questions and shadow their every move. I had a wonderful boss who was funny and friendly but when it came to work, it was just way too demanding and every thing I did I felt like it was never good enough to secure a solid position there.

If you don't reach your sales goals then they will write you up. (At least that's what happened to me) So I never returned to that place and I'm glad I did so. I worked there for about 3 months and overall, I thought it was a good experience. Although I don't agree with how things are run at Teavana, it really helped your knowledge of tea and the benefits from it. Also you learn so much from sales, customer service, and just meeting so many different people.

Get rid of the sales goals. Appreciate the employees more. Stop hovering over customers like animals.

Other Reviews for Teavana

Favoritism and ridiculous ideas about the tea experience

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Teavana full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's great that you can drink as much tea as you like during your shift. The discount changed from 40% to 30% which isn't awesome but it's still a good discount. Also, some managers will create competitions in sales and if you reach this goal you get to take a prize home; usually some tea or a tumbler etc.

Cons

I have so many cons I could go on and on about. Teavana has been my worst job so far. The company is so sales driven and in the year I've worked here my store has had at least 25+ employees who all seem to be stressed and upset with sales goals. The process is uncomfortable for customers and employees. The goals are extremely unrealistic and I rarely even see managers reaching goals. Also the pressure to follow the script word for word is unbelievable. I've been yelled at countless times for not saying a specific word or skipping a step to suit the customers needs. Managers also steal sales from other associates and are extremely unprofessional handling situations. They almost force customers to buy products with guilt and FALSE information. We receive an immense amount of returns and I believe it is a direct result of the overly pushy, fake, unnatural sales process forced upon employees.

Don't overlook incompetent managers simply because they meet their sales goals. From what I've seen, these managers steal most of their sales from other employees. Also allow employees to express themselves and customize the sales process. Finally, quit changing the sales techniques every other week. How do you expect employees to improve and learn if there's no consistency?

First impressions

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free tea on shift, 30% discounts, Starbucks benefits, ability to introduce exciting new products to customers.

Cons

The weekend zoning is ridiculous...Makes it nearly impossible to meet your sales goals on the weekends. Since it is sales, it makes it hard to maintain a healthy working relationship with your coworkers. The sales process is way too pushy. Also, lying to customers is very bad. The German rock sugar is not "100% natural". Beet roots must be genetically modified to create the sugar.

The product sells itself. Don't be so overkill on it. Also, provide more opportunities for customers to try unsweetened samples! I have had several diabetic customers that are concerned about drinking the samples. We need to be more willing to LISTEN to the customers' concerns

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana.

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!