There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Overwhelming and Stressful! Not good for a first job!

Former Employee - Teaologist/Tea Maker in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Teaologist/Tea Maker in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks on the clock.
Awesome discounts (sometimes free merchandise)
Amazing co-workers :)
Really helps boost your people and communication skills
Sometimes you meet wonderful people

Cons

Too much pressure on sales goals. It's really ridiculous because what you sell, it's NEVER enough. You're constantly trying to convince customers to buy over-priced tea/tea sets/merchandise. Constantly trying to up-sell when the customers really aren't even interested. When customers just want to browse and look around you always have to go and bother them with questions and shadow their every move. I had a wonderful boss who was funny and friendly but when it came to work, it was just way too demanding and every thing I did I felt like it was never good enough to secure a solid position there.

If you don't reach your sales goals then they will write you up. (At least that's what happened to me) So I never returned to that place and I'm glad I did so. I worked there for about 3 months and overall, I thought it was a good experience. Although I don't agree with how things are run at Teavana, it really helped your knowledge of tea and the benefits from it. Also you learn so much from sales, customer service, and just meeting so many different people.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the sales goals. Appreciate the employees more. Stop hovering over customers like animals.

reviews filtered by

Favoritism and ridiculous ideas about the tea experience

Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's great that you can drink as much tea as you like during your shift. The discount changed from 40% to 30% which isn't awesome but it's still a good discount. Also, some managers will create competitions in sales and if you reach this goal you get to take a prize home; usually some tea or a tumbler etc.

Cons

I have so many cons I could go on and on about. Teavana has been my worst job so far. The company is so sales driven and in the year I've worked here my store has had at least 25+ employees who all seem to be stressed and upset with sales goals. The process is uncomfortable for customers and employees. The goals are extremely unrealistic and I rarely even see managers reaching goals. Also the pressure to follow the script word for word is unbelievable. I've been yelled at countless times for not saying a specific word or skipping a step to suit the customers needs. Managers also steal sales from other associates and are extremely unprofessional handling situations. They almost force customers to buy products with guilt and FALSE information. We receive an immense amount of returns and I believe it is a direct result of the overly pushy, fake, unnatural sales process forced upon employees.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook incompetent managers simply because they meet their sales goals. From what I've seen, these managers steal most of their sales from other employees. Also allow employees to express themselves and customize the sales process. Finally, quit changing the sales techniques every other week. How do you expect employees to improve and learn if there's no consistency?

We were trained to be robots of deception.

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generally the underlings were fun people to work with, and the tea on the job was a perk.

Cons

You are trained to lie to people. Management would awkwardly inject themselves into any sale that was looking good and then ring it up under their name, if not just blatantly ringing sales under their name that had nothing to do with them. Management would be so busy selling to meet their goals that they would unload workload onto underlings who were not getting paid a managers salary and yet had to do the managers job and sacrifice their own sales while doing it.

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana