There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

If you have no goals, ambition, or intelligence - this job is for you.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beverages on the clock and the 30% discount is the only perk about working at Teavana.

Cons

Teavana promises upward mobility within the company, but in reality it is a dead end job with low pay and extremely high expectations. (For example, despite being one of the strongest sellers in the store, I have never received a raise. I am expected to be available at random times and days of the week - no set schedule. If you are sick, you need a doctors note to excuse your absence.) If you have a shred of intelligence, the mind-numbing sales process will drive you crazy. You will be trained to recite a sales script and expected to stick to that script regardless of what the customer wants or needs. As a result, you will say the EXACT SAME THING over and over again and experience hostility from customers who simply want to enjoy their shopping experience without a hard sell for something they do not want or need. They brag about 'benefits' - dont buy it, it doesnt cover ANYTHING if you are not a manager. It would be cheaper to pay out of pocket for the services covered than pay the monthly premium. The bonus structure enables managers to bonus on a routine basis while associates seldom, if ever bonus. (In a year and a half, not one associate has bonused at my store.) This prompts the manager to blame everyone for lackluster sales and force the recitation of the sales script over and over as 'training.' For near minimum wages, you would be much better off working for a company that has realistic demands for the pay and better working conditions and opportunities for productive employees.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs better oversight on the way each store is managed and provide incentives to retain talent. Great sellers have moved on to other companies because it is too easy to find better opportunities elsewhere. GMs and AM need serious training on human resource management, professionalism, leadership and cultural sensitivity - particularly gender and race. The lack of managerial maturity at my store has been astonishing.

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. Not even a good job for college students

Former Employee - Teaologist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Teaologist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea while at work Co-workers tend to be really awesome (you'll grow closer from being put through this environment)

Cons

The environment is incredibly unhealthy. My manager constantly worked on fear tactics to get our team to work harder while he barely worked all day. Many of us were threatened to be fired for having low sales per hour even though the mall was clearly going through periods of low foot traffic (management doesn't care at all). The hours are abysmal unless you're having a good sales week which is completely unfair because one bad week can set you back for an incredibly long time. There is also clear favoritism shown in the store where certain employees get to sit around and talk while the rest of us are berated. I'm sure not all of the stores are like this because we have had people who transferred to my store and wound up quitting but they're honestly not too much better. Another huge disadvantage to work here is the lack of communication. Many times, our employees wold not find out their schedules until the Monday of that week! We would also have sales promotions that half of the store just wouldn't even know about.

Advice to Management

The entire system behind Teavana is simply not well thought out. You want to be one of the top employers to work for yet you abuse your employees. This only hurts you in the long run because the knowledge behind these teas takes time so the high turnover rate you currently have only leaves lesser informed employees. What many of the people in management positions exhibit is full on bullying. I thought that the Starbucks merger would start to make the company more customer service oriented but after 7 months without any change I decided it was time for me to leave.

2. Great company

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company,good benefits supportive upper management.

Cons

Don't change anything and continue to be supportive.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything.