Too Sales driven

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea during shifts & 30% off starbucks

Cons

Unfriendly Coworkers Unreasonable Sales tactics Not enough hours

Other Employee Reviews for Teavana

1. It's just a paycheck

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time

Pros

Free tea on your shift. Starbucks discounts and weekly writeouts. 30% discount in store. Part time benefits after a few months, if regularly working 20+ hours. Meeting great people, if you're lucky enough to get along well with your employees and other managers. My store in general, we get along well and we're always willing to cover shifts if someone has a family emergency or something. Also my GM is totally understanding if we can't cover shifts or need to make a small schedule change. I really enjoy this job but I do not see myself staying with the company much longer. I don't make enough to financially justify it.

Cons

-Pay is okay however for the same responsibilities, other companies are paying more. -Hours are based on your sales. Higher sales you have, the more hours you are "rewarded" with. Doesn't matter how you get those sales, either. As long as they're rung up under your name. -When you are given bad hours because of your sales, you are almost never given another chance to redeem yourself. So you're going to be in this downward spiral of having terrible, slow hours, so you'll have low sales, and you will continue to be getting bad hours. -Some of us NEED to work at least 20 hours, just to be eligible for their health insurance. Yet they will schedule Team Leads, and Team Members for less than that. -Also, some General Managers play favorites, and give their favorite employees more productive hours, or more hours in general, if they simply just like you, even if your sales are terrible. Unfortunately, some GMs will base their "favorites" on how attractive someone is. -Sales are often stolen by team members and other team leads. They do not understand that although X person speaks to them first and they go to Y person, they are then Y's customer. Also employees will intrude on your sales, then claim that the sale is totally theirs. Then when you try to approach them about their behavior, they will say some trash like "oh as long as the store makes money, everyone does" or "no I talked to them first" or some really childish, convoluted nonsense. -Zoning is stupid. If you're working in a high volume store, you'll know what I mean. Basically it's a rotation of employees through set stations in the store and customers are passed along to the next person to be shown around, with the ultimate goal being to get to the Tea Counter. Unless you're really good at selling tea or really good at selling Cast Iron and Brevilles, only a few people will "get lucky" and make a whole ton of money during Zoning, while everyone else gets upset and angry that they're not doing well.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more for their hard work. Base hours on MORE than just sales. Some deserve more than others. Don't Zone. Have more of a presence by Upper Management in your stores, so employees won't slack off, get lazy and hopefully be mindful of who's sales are who's, etc. Have Upper Management make schedules, so that it is done with utmost fairness. Make sure that your employees are happy and healthy. If they are not, they will not do well and will not preform to the best of their capabilities. And make sure that your employees who are over 26 years of age and don't have any other health insurance are working at least the minimum to be eligible for the Teavana Health Insurance Benefits, REGARDLESS of sales, or anything of that nature.

Definite Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with tea is awesome, and you learn more than you think you could ever know about tea while doing so. And many of the people attracted to tea are nice and interesting, both customers and co-workers alike. You really learn how to make the best cups of tea around, and the discount at Teavana as well as Starbucks is definitely nice. Getting to help people learn the best way to make tea is very satisfying when your focus is to make the customer happy.

Cons

As a barista, there is no way to move up in the company unless you switch to sales, at least not that I've seen. That may change now with the addition of 'tea bar stores' but as of right now, that is the case. You cannot put out a tip jar and I don't feel you earn enough hourly, especially with usually being restricted to "weekends only" as a barista to make a wage worth the time. This is especially true since with being restricted to "weekends only", you don't usually qualify for benefits unless you are also the dedicated stock person, which if you are then good luck getting any days off where there is ANYTHING unusual going on with the store since there will be no one able to cover you without it dinging their sales. People are promoted for their sales only and not necessarily whether or not they would make good management and that can really hurt a store--my store has an extremely high turnover rate compared to other stores in our area simply due to the attitude and practices of our manager. Also watching the sales people, I've seen more people get chewed up and spit out by a system so focused on average ticket size in addition to hourly average. It is such a pushy sales process that I think we push far more people into just ordering online next time rather than coming into the store just to avoid the pressure. The pressure also can tend to make the manager crack, causing a stressful work environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Realize that there are more people that could be fantastic choices for 'higher up the food chain' than just your top sales people, and that just because someone has good sales doesn't mean they are management material. Allow the baristas to put out a tip jar to receive the appreciation of those they serve, especially since as so many of our customers don't even realize we provide drinks and when they do they are very appreciative when we take the time to make them a great cup of tea and teach them how to repeat it at home. Also, don't treat the drink bar like the dirty little secret of the store by treating our efforts as that last ditch go-to before a customer walks out with nothing in hand. I'm also lucky in that my barista station is out at the counter and not hidden in the back, so I get to actually engage and interact with my customers which I find important for ensuring that they will come back. Don't be so focused on the average ticket amount to the point that it causes your sales people to drive people away by having to be so pushy, and reevaluate the sales flow to avoid ridiculous amounts of pushiness as well. So much emphasis on average ticket quickly creates a toxic work environment time and again with the manager coming under undue amounts of stress to increase average sales while being faced with a large customer base that only wants to by $10-20 of tea at a time.