There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Too Sales driven

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free tea during shifts & 30% off starbucks

Cons

Unfriendly Coworkers
Unreasonable Sales tactics
Not enough hours

295 Other Employee Reviews for Teavana (View Most Recent)

It's just a paycheck

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time

Pros

Free tea on your shift. Starbucks discounts and weekly writeouts. 30% discount in store. Part time benefits after a few months, if regularly working 20+ hours. Meeting great people, if you're lucky enough to get along well with your employees and other managers. My store in general, we get along well and we're always willing to cover shifts if someone has a family emergency or something. Also my GM is totally understanding if we can't cover shifts or need to make a small schedule change. I really enjoy this job but I do not see myself staying with the company much longer. I don't make enough to financially justify it.

Cons

-Pay is okay however for the same responsibilities, other companies are paying more.
    -Hours are based on your sales. Higher sales you have, the more hours you are "rewarded" with. Doesn't matter how you get those sales, either. As long as they're rung up under your name.
    -When you are given bad hours because of your sales, you are almost never given another chance to redeem yourself. So you're going to be in this downward spiral of having terrible, slow hours, so you'll have low sales, and you will continue to be getting bad hours.
    -Some of us NEED to work at least 20 hours, just to be eligible for their health insurance. Yet they will schedule Team Leads, and Team Members for less than that.
    -Also, some General Managers play favorites, and give their favorite employees more productive hours, or more hours in general, if they simply just like you, even if your sales are terrible. Unfortunately, some GMs will base their "favorites" on how attractive someone is.
    -Sales are often stolen by team members and other team leads. They do not understand that although X person speaks to them first and they go to Y person, they are then Y's customer. Also employees will intrude on your sales, then claim that the sale is totally theirs. Then when you try to approach them about their behavior, they will say some trash like "oh as long as the store makes money, everyone does" or "no I talked to them first" or some really childish, convoluted nonsense.
    -Zoning is stupid. If you're working in a high volume store, you'll know what I mean. Basically it's a rotation of employees through set stations in the store and customers are passed along to the next person to be shown around, with the ultimate goal being to get to the Tea Counter. Unless you're really good at selling tea or really good at selling Cast Iron and Brevilles, only a few people will "get lucky" and make a whole ton of money during Zoning, while everyone else gets upset and angry that they're not doing well.

Pay employees more for their hard work. Base hours on MORE than just sales. Some deserve more than others. Don't Zone. Have more of a presence by Upper Management in your stores, so employees won't slack off, get lazy and hopefully be mindful of who's sales are who's, etc. Have Upper Management make schedules, so that it is done with utmost fairness. Make sure that your employees are happy and healthy. If they are not, they will not do well and will not preform to the best of their capabilities. And make sure that your employees who are over 26 years of age and don't have any other health insurance are working at least the minimum to be eligible for the Teavana Health Insurance Benefits, REGARDLESS of sales, or anything of that nature.

Sales & Growth!

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Westerville, OH

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here. It's a challenging job, and you interact with very needy and interested clientele. Interpersonal Skills are a MUST and you have to convince the consumer!

This was my first sales job, and I've learned a lot from just following sales process and effective communication.

Cons

Lots of management drama, stressful sales goals, unfair advantages, overstaffed

Learn to properly provide constructive, kind criticism

There are newer employer reviews for Teavana

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!