Tech Data

www.techdata.com
  www.techdata.com
There are newer employer reviews for Tech Data

Not the worst place to work but nowhere near the best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

The previous review hit the nail on the head. It's a paycheck. Big company, so you can always find people you like and enjoy working with. It's good if you like a monotonous workplace. A negative to some, to be sure, but it is nice to always know what you're going to get. There are very few surprises.

Cons

For some reason a decent percentage of lower and mid-level management seem to be poorly suited for the job. My manager was friendly and positive, but clueless as to how I did my job. The pay is okay, but opportunities for advancement aren't as plentiful or fairly rewarded as you'll be told in the interview.

There are A LOT of meetings and I swear I've been to meetings to discuss if there were too many meetings.

It's not a bad place to work, but it really is a gray cubicle environment and that wore on me over time. When I put in my two weeks I had about half to 75% of the people I work with admit they hated their jobs and couldn't wait to go somewhere else.

Look for managers with a high quit rate below them. There's probably a reason.

130 Other Employee Reviews for Tech Data (View Most Recent)

If you cannot find a job anywhere else, this should be your last resort.

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data

Pros

If you're right out of college it's a half way decent starting point; just one notch above an unpaid internship. Make sure you fluff up your resume since other companies in the area also view Tech Data as a entry level company. Other perks you can get from working in sales or marketing are some free products, event tickets and shirts. It is a paycheck albeit on the low end of a salary range for comparable positions at other companies.

Cons

There are many downsides to the company: low pay, unqualified management who have no sense of the industry or business in general for that matter. The only way Tech Data knows how to make money is to bilk their vendors out of marketing dollars by overcharging for activities, but then not following through with them. They embelish reports to make business look better than it is. I've been working in corporate America for over 20 years and this is the first company that I ever heard the phrase "throw you under the bus", and the only place I've ever experienced it. I think they pretty much coined the phrase. Mangement is so lacking in skills the only way they can make themselves seem taller is by cutting off the heads of their subordinates. They don't lead by example and many times there are feuds between director and director, manager and manager, etc. It sets the tone for the entire company. They are their own problem and it's keeping them from growing business.

Be more professional and look to your competitors on how to operate better.

Tech Data-It's a job.

Current Employee - Salesperson in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data

Pros

It is a job and the paycheck never bounces. Some nice cuties working in the office. Not a bad place to start your career but it doesn't end here.… Covered Parking? Health Insurance. If you are a slacker you will love it here.

Cons

It is not a challenging environment what so ever. Senior MGT is disconnected from the worker bees. Long boring days in cubicle hell. Tech Data is a better place for talkers than for doers. .Very little in the way of growth or exciting new opportunities. Most people here hate coming into work and it just helps to create a negative environment in general.

Shake things up and reinvigorate this place. Get rid of the dead wood

There are newer employer reviews for Tech Data