There are newer employer reviews for Tech Data

IT professionals beware

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent salary, OK benefits on-site gym.

Cons

IT pros beware. Layoffs. Offshoring. Very high management turnover.

Close the revolving door in IT management. No one likes a new boss every 6 months.

123 Other Employee Reviews for Tech Data (View Most Recent)

A good company that could be great but currently isn't.

Former Employee - Management in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

very good training ground for a career in IT industry. largest company in the area. you can establish great contacts with both customers and vendors for furture opportunities.

Cons

very low margin business forces a business model that is based on caution (ie: very structured, no risk taking) and a "do more with less" mentality.

get more engaged with their front-line employees, live a day in their shoes to see what they are really faced with and better understand the impacts of their executive decisions.

Not the worst place to work but nowhere near the best

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

The previous review hit the nail on the head. It's a paycheck. Big company, so you can always find people you like and enjoy working with. It's good if you like a monotonous workplace. A negative to some, to be sure, but it is nice to always know what you're going to get. There are very few surprises.

Cons

For some reason a decent percentage of lower and mid-level management seem to be poorly suited for the job. My manager was friendly and positive, but clueless as to how I did my job. The pay is okay, but opportunities for advancement aren't as plentiful or fairly rewarded as you'll be told in the interview.

There are A LOT of meetings and I swear I've been to meetings to discuss if there were too many meetings.

It's not a bad place to work, but it really is a gray cubicle environment and that wore on me over time. When I put in my two weeks I had about half to 75% of the people I work with admit they hated their jobs and couldn't wait to go somewhere else.

Look for managers with a high quit rate below them. There's probably a reason.

There are newer employer reviews for Tech Data