Great

Former Employee - Computer Operator in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Computer Operator in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow

Pros

Good environment to work and great management team.

Cons

Upward mobility in job position.

reviews filtered by
  1. Nice folks but some strange things too

I worked at TechFlow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really sweet, talented and well intentioned coworkers and managers. Telework and flexibility are great.

Cons

Funding for my project was cut and I was laid off that day. The last day of the month. They cut my last paycheck that day. As a result I had no health insurance the next day. That is horrible. On top of that they want to charge you the admin fee for COBRA. There were other places my skills could have been used for a month or 2 until I found a new job or also the possibility of job sharing. 20 hours/week is better than unemployment. Seriously this is harsh treatment. This just goes to show a certain lack of creativity. Intelligent, seasoned talented industry professionals are kept out of these discussions and treated like 4th graders.

Advice to Management

Whoever decides the scope of projects needs to consider that despite the fact that Java/Web is the hot sexy end user facing technology (what the user sees) the application is worthless without data, which is stored in a database that is more important than the weight management gives those skilled in that regard (databases). In other words, not too much. That needs to be factored in to contracts. Java developers do not have the same depth of knowledge as dedicated database developers. Need to spend some money on servers. Whoever thought that it is a good idea to have more virtual machines than physical CPUs needs to look elsewhere for employment. Bundling database servers, apache, tomcat, hibernate, mail servers, file servers and god knows what else onto the same hardware makes performance diagnostics pretty much impossible since they use resources in different ways and step on each others toes. It would be more cost effective to use the funds for a VM Ware software and VM Ware expert on Physical Servers and do away with VM Ware person and VM Ware licensing. It could be the fact that contracts are written based on labor only I'm not sure. As with all gov't contractors there is a double bureaucracy. The customer and the company. Company seems to be afraid of technology in some regards. Scanned/emailed expense are not acceptable, but rather snail mailed receipts are required. What difference does it make? Some of these things seem weird but again it might have to do with how contracts are written. I don't think I ever met the CEO so I don't know what to say.

TechFlow Response

Mar 25, 2015Human Resources

TechFlow is an agile workplace with great people. We are glad we are able to provide our folks with the ability to have schedule flexibility.

Sorry you didn't meet the CEO. He is a dynamic
    ... More

Governemnt-centric company, with detached division heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow

Pros

Good 401K. Good benefits. Pure agile environment. Great tools to log work, find notes and procedures. Confluence, Jira, GreenHopper (Now Jira Agile). Developers are friendly and knowledge is shared among them. Highly intelligent, industry proven and seasoned professionals are hired at TechFlow.

Cons

People are hired quickly, and let go quickly. Division heads were segregated from developers. Salaried developers were expected to work over time, when management mismanaged projects. Little to no freedom using your own Java IDE or tools. Laptops were assigned (and you had to provide a compelling case to get more Memory). Very slow development environment: Java labs and servers are agonizingly slow. Most clients for TechFlow are government agencies. Division heads have an academic, bookish (abstract) view of both technology and best practices, and developers were constantly frustrated. Division heads and project managers were in so many meetings they often failed to fully scope out the detailed requirements for a project to be delivered on time.

Advice to Management

"Open door" policies are intimidating to developers. Division heads need to come by developers desk more.

TechFlow Response

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources

TechFlow is much more than an IT / Development company. We are a government contractor that provides engineering, analysis, IT and scientific services to the government in business and process ... More