There are newer employer reviews for TechSmith

Shot in the Dark

Former Employee - IT Specialist  in  Okemos, MI
Former Employee - IT Specialist in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith

Pros

The majority of the non-managerial staff are great people to work with, PTO is very easy to use with little to no given notice, the offices are located in a very comfortable/safe area, paid medical (no vision), company parties have booze?

Cons

Career growth is very limited to whom you know - not what you know, the managers are mostly incompetent, the executives are snide and talk down to employees, pay is not on par with other companies, they are a software company with no vision insurance for employees, they expect full loyalty to their company and return nothing on what they promise, professionalism is non-existant.

fire most of what you have and start over.

35 Other Employee Reviews for TechSmith (View Most Recent)

Employee review of TechSmith: A great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Web Designer  in  Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Web Designer in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith

Pros

It starts with how people are recruited, and this makes all the difference when it comes to job satisfaction. Working with great people is the difference in a good job and a great job. Its tough to get in, but when you do its because you belong at TechSmith. TechSmithies are some of the smarted, most creative, hardest working people I have met and worked with. They define passion at work. And don't get me wrong its not that we never have fun, we do. Its just that when it comes to our jobs, everyone if focused on making great software for great customers.

Ask anyone that uses TechSmith products and you will hear wonderful stories. A couple weeks ago I was getting on a plane and a passenger noticed my SnagIt t-shirt and stopped me to ask if I liked SnagIt as much as he did. When I told him that I worked at TechSmith, he started telling me how much he loved the software and to please let everyone at work know that he loved SnagIt. What a great feeling!

Here is the thing, TechSmith treats its employees as well as its customers. Salaries are above the regional average, bonus checks are generous, healthcare covers all but your co-pay, vacation accrues extremely fast, the company provides cola, juice, coffee, espresso, tea, hot chocolate and several types of flavored water for free, every Friday the entire company is invited to a catered lunch (pizza and ice-cream day is my personal favorite), they send us to conferences (I worked at a place that never did that before so this is big to me), and help pay for you to go back to school.

While all those things are great, it still comes back to the people. It is a wonderful thing to not feel like you are always the smartest/hardest-working/most passionate/only one who cares in the room (pick one or pick them all). I have repeatedly raved to my friends and past co-workers about how much I love this place, and a lot of the time I know that they have no idea what I am talking about when I say I love the place that I work.

Cons

Sometimes the growth of the company makes it hard to know all the people. Every couple of weeks you look around the all-staff meetings or the Friday lunch and realize how many people you just haven't met yet seems to grow. Of course, this is preferred to the other feeling where you realize a lot of great talent has quit or been fired and you get nervous about your future.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    PS- can my next conference be in Maui? ;)

Great place to work; Northern California benefits in the mid-west.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith

Pros

Free lunches every Friday. Every manager, even the president, has an open door policy. And, people here are very driven to succeed.

Cons

The coming is growing, so there are some pains with that. New systems are starting and there are some old systems that people need to let go of.

Keep listening to employees and be less afraid to take chances. We're a successful company and it's time to show people we can adapt and do more.

There are newer employer reviews for TechSmith

Worked for TechSmith? Contribute to the Community!