Great organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Techsoup is an extremely effective nonprofit, run like a business, empowering hundreds of other nonprofits. It's an intense, fast-paced atmosphere, but most colleagues are fun to be around. Compensation is less than at startups, but better than most nonprofits and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Like many organizations, the atmosphere can be political, and success can depend on who is your manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to input from all employees, not just the most recently recruited management hotshots.

Other Employee Reviews for TechSoup Global

Really love TechSoup

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm nearing my 6-year anniversary at TechSoup and am surprised by how negative the reviews are on GlassDoor by (mostly) former employees. I have enjoyed the work culture here at TechSoup, where I've been supported to grow, apply for new roles, and learn. As someone who received donations through TS before working here, I know how important our programs are, so I'm happy to play a part in providing those services to other nonprofits. I've found TechSoup to be supportive of creativity in finding solutions to problems, and flexible with allowing staff to work remotely.

Cons

There are times when communication from leadership isn't very clear, but that's something I know is being worked on by holding "town hall" staff meetings and updating us with all-staff emails. There was a lot of tumult with a recent reorganization (fall 2012), but much of that shifting has settled down now (early 2014), and I know people weren't happy with how teams were shifted, staff was moved, and even some folks were laid off. I hope we don't have to go through that again anytime soon, because I know it was painful for all of us.

Advice to Management

I hope that the top leadership continues to improve communication around their strategy planning to the rest of us.

Using technology to accelerate social change is only as great as the leaders executing it

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tech Soup is positioned to great things in the world, not just the local nonprofit scene.

Cons

In the last year - retention of institutional knowledge has cascaded out the door. Dozens of people have left the company, including true visionaries in technical investment and planning. The response by the organization has been to spend months bad mouthing these people, then declaring the budget is too short to replace them. The actual technical leadership and planning vacuum that has created will be difficult at this point to overcome. It has created nothing but distrust and discontent among those left in the trenches actually delivering products, or at least trying to. In all hands meetings our current work is dismissed as the old way - with all dice being thrown at a new way - that senior management clearly doesn't understand, but won't or cannot admit mistakes. Retaining employees requires more than literally saying in an all hands meeting "if you don't like it you can leave" - and "clearly we need to start raising standards and getting rid of people that don't measure up". It's why I couldn't bring myself to come to work any more and explored new opportunities, finally taking their advice and leaving.

Advice to Management

Senior management reads these reviews here on Glassdoor; and that's probably a good thing - because all the negative reviews here lay at their feet. The only way you will get what you want from your insanely talented but exhausted workforce is to do a whole lot less talking and more doing. More getting out and understanding what your employees actually do for you. Less relying on consultants working in remote offices making global decisions for those of us 100 feet from your office door.