Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best benefits of TechTarget is their flexibility. They are willing to allow most employees to telecommute and have an open leave policy. It's very family-friendly and even has several festivities during the holidays for children. Some of the pros include: Flexibility Good work environment Employee recognition Commodore Team morale Telecommute-friendly

Cons

The biggest issue with TechTarget is the health insurance costs. A recent benefits change in 2011 was a big factor in driving away many employees. It's a benefit to the company in cost savings, but really takes a toll on out of pocket employee expenses.

Advice to Management

Adjust the health insurance plan to reduce out of pocket expenses to employees

Other Employee Reviews for TechTarget

I've learned a ton about the topic and running a website--but pay is extremely low compared to others in this industry.

Current Employee - Site Editor in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Site Editor in Newton, MA

Pros

Lots of talented, creative, smart people. Beautiful office space in Newton. Generous and flexible scheduling and time-off policy. Company seems financially stable and on track for long-term growth.

Cons

Salaries are very low compared to those offered by similar companies in area and industry (in my area, incoming salaries are at levels of 15-20 years ago).

Advice to Management

Raise salaries to industry levels; this will help reduce turnover. Help unify the organization by breaking down silos between groups and departments.

The experience is what you make of it (and who you work with)

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

Pros

- I have had a fantastic experience at TechTarget. I've been blessed with awesome coworkers, fantastic managers and a lot of room to grow. In 2.5 years, I had two promotions. This is definitely a reap-what-you-sow kind of place. - The work/life balance is so great. Having previously worked at a several newspapers, it's just unreal. I can take off early to go to a night class, start later to go to yoga, work from home most days. As long as you get your work done on time and do it well, you get a lot of latitude. - Underperformers are shown the door. Some people might cite this as a con, but for those of us who work hard and care about our jobs, it's a relief. I think people are definitely supported if they're struggling, but those who take advantage of the system don't stay very long. I've worked in places where it seemed impossible to get fired, and the result is there's a lot of dead weight. I don't see that here. - Although there are a number of entry-level positions, I disagree that this is just "a good place to get your feet wet." I think it's feasible to make a career here. - It's a relief not to have to worry about how many personal days I've used if I need to take the day off for something. - The bagels, etc., are a nice touch. The company also runs quarterly "innovation awards," giving away iPads for simple ideas that save/make money for the company.

Cons

- Pay isn't that great. A competitor recently reached out to me about an open position, offering between $20-30k more than what I currently make. I know it sounds nuts to shrug that off, but I'm pretty happy here. I made the mistake once of taking a job solely for the pay (and turned the blinders on the bad environment). Pay isn't everything. - You do work hard. But if you come from the news/publishing world, this shouldn't be a wake-up call or anything. I actually thought it was less intense than previous jobs. That said, I still burn the midnight oil from at least once a week. - If you have no experience in technology, there is a steep learning curve. It can be frustrating, and TechTarget doesn't offer much by way of education there. - The content is pretty dull, which can weigh down on you after a while. Try as I might, I can't be passionate about servers and software. - As with ANY job at a midsized to large company, your experience will strongly depend on your group/manager. I'm lucky to work with a really great bunch. I have heard of some less-than-savory experiences.

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive wages! Please!