Teck Cominco
www.teck.com Vancouver, Canada 5000+ Employees

Great place to be an engineer

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
Trail, BC (Canada)

Pros- Ask and you shall receive: If you want responsibility and accountability, they will give it to you. Very easy to get involved early on with interesting issues and projects !
- Decision making is delegated down to the plants / mines. Senior management at head office does not interfere too much, which is REFRESHING... people are allowed to make decisions based on the best information available.
- Willing to take risks and they will spend money to improve production if you have a good idea.
- Management is quick to listen to ideas from the floor. I saw ideas from the Unionized employees get implemented quickly with excellent results. And I mean million dollar plus results.
- Good, regular pay raises. Work hard, and you'll get good salary increases.
- Excellent pay and benefits
- Best managed company I have worked for in a 15 year career, and I have worked for several different companies in mining and utilities.
- Excellent work life balance ... most days showed up at 7 and left at 3 ... got paid for the occasional bit of overtime and got perks like free meals, etc.

Cons- Sometimes the relationship between Union / Management could be better.
- The working environment is a bit dirty, if you are working in the plants. If you don't like getting dirty, look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Management- Keep up the good work, this is a very well managed company with an excellent future.

Good place for big project experience

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Elkford, BC (Canada)

I worked at Teck Cominco as an intern for more than a year

Pros: Big projects- Given high-level projects right off the bat Good pay- Very high salary and bonus structure Good… Cons: Lack of mentorship- Everyone is too busy Difficulty implementing change- Lots of old… Advice to Senior Management: Create a more structured mentorship program for new staff Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Poor

IT Help Desk (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Teck Cominco

Pros: The people in the company are relatively easy to work… Cons: No training, No expectations, No one to tell you how things are done. Have to figure… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Teck Cominco.

Worked for Teck Cominco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teck Cominco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teck Cominco CEO Don Lindsay. All reviews posted anonymously by Teck Cominco employees.