There are newer employer reviews for Tekelec

Not a bad place to weather the recession-- decent management, work/life balance

Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC
Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time

Pros

Note that this review reflects post-acquisition stabilized Tekelec, which is very different from pre-acquisition or during-acquisition. Recent change from public to private equity ownership has allowed the company to focus more on long-term vision and less on the insanity of quarterly-driven profits. Clear communication from upper management on company strategy and market conditions. Most managers are very on-message, which has helped employee morale after rounds of layoffs during the economic downturn and the private equity acquisition. A sense of hope has emerged from the roller coaster of the Great Recession. Strong legacy of 3G products give the company financial stability. Significant growth opportunities for new LTE products. Good reputation in the telecom industry due to legacy of SS7/3G products-- Tekelec has a good name. Good work/life balance in most departments. Good relationships among co-workers in most departments. Decent benefits. Use-it-or-lose-it vacation days, and generous amounts of vacation. People actually take vacations here, unlike places where vacation days accrue but no one ever takes any breaks because of pressure to avoid being seen as a weak worker. Personnel changes have forced management hierarchy flattening and management attrition. As the hierarchy has flattened, Tekelec has promoted managers from within the ranks. While this sometimes leads to inexperienced managers, what they lack for in experience they make up for in common sense and a realistic understanding of how work actually gets done.

Cons

Benefits are varied, some benefits are great, some are average or a little below average. Some employees complain about health coverage (which is pretty standard industry coverage, but not a Cadillac plan, which means there are going to be some gaps for certain people). Most employees haven't had any issues with it. Private equity ownership makes some employees nervous, since inevitably private equity will need to take their profit and that means big changes for employees (could go public again, could get sold, who knows?). In my opinion, that's not a big deal. There are a lot of advantages to not being a publicly-traded company. Big workplace change at Tekelec is inevitable, but that could be years away, or tomorrow. I'd rather know it's coming and not be surprised then to be shocked when it happens. It's easier to plan for impending change. Doesn't matter where you work, no one can predict the future, just ask former Nortel employees, Worldcom, Enron, IBM'ers who became Lenovo, etc. What matters is right now, and right now Tekelec is a decent place to work. If you have a crystal ball that tells the future, please share it with the rest of us. For now I'll take my chances here-- it's a good environment right now. I've been elsewhere in the industry and elsewhere is actually much worse than here.

Advice to Management

Keep employees appraised. Over-communication is okay during times of uncertainty, and morale is improving. Spend a little more on healthcare, it'll make hiring more competitive.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance for certain departments. Nice Cafe and facilities. Good group of people.

Cons

Hard to get ahead unless you are in Management.

Advice to Management

Need to reward the technical workers as well as the folks in Management

2. Great work environment in a very different type of market than what you're taught in school

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn lots of skills that schools do not usualy offer.

Cons

None as of my current employment

Advice to Management

n/a