Tektronix
www.tek.com Beaverton, OR 5000+ Employees

A once great company ruined by being acquired by a company that did not understand the core competency.

Engineering - Development (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Tektronix full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery few companies could attract the talent that Tektronix has had over the years.

ConsDanaher never understood that the real gem in the crown of Tektronix was the amazing engineering prowess it had and the innovation it was capable of. Basically they refocused resources from engineering and innovation towards manufacturing, distribution and inventory efficiencies(not that these are bad, just not the traditional Tektronix value add). Unfortunately what customers wanted from Tektronix was the best, leading edge technology, not a product that was 10% cheaper to assemble in China and middle of the road software from new places that were coming up to speed on the special software needs of leading edge hardware like Tek products required. For years I watched top talent steered away from technology development and into efficiency gains and manufacturing optimization and training new engineers from other countries. All this for products that were often high dollar, low volume type products.... Clearly Danaher never understood what Tektronix customers were buying when they purchased the Tek brand. Now they are so far behind, and the Danaher money is gone - misspent - one wonders how they could ever come back without major new investment to rebuild the engineering resources that were squandered... Or perhaps they could take on a new role in their industry as more of a commodity player instead of a technological leader.... Either way, I don't think Danaher's investment here will ever pay off and a rare and once great technology and innovation giant is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current CEO, Amir Aghdaei is very nice to know personally, however most of his managers were afraid to tell him what needed to be said. His personal style is to require his direct reports to get on board quickly with the direction he wants to go in. If you didn't there could be serious questions about your commitment to the organization.... He has an amazing confidence in himself which is a plus sometimes, but to balance that a world class CEO needs to be willing create a culture around him that welcomes and encourages many viewpoints and to be in the habit of really listening - understanding. I respectfully submit that Amir places his own opinions too high in the values of opinions in a room, even in areas where some around him have a much larger pool to draw from... This prevents him from really having the best information to work from and after teaching those around him the price for "not being on board" is to put your career at risk... well you can see how this leaves him def and blind in the long run. Smart guy - but limited by self confidence. I feel bad that a 65+ year old company needs to pay the price for one relatively new guys shortcomings, but that is how the world works...

Once a great company to work, now average

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Most employees are top rate in their professions, the caliber of people, the… Cons: The finance side of the business and Danaher business practices drive the business TOTALLY. Over the years as a manager I lost ability… Advice to Senior Management: Walk the floor, get out and about, be seen. Look up from the spreadsheets. Losing market share to the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Possibilities

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time for less than a year

Pros: People are great, campus is wonderful, work-life balance works well… Cons: No design center, marketing designs products, no customer feedback loop.… Advice to Senior Management: Build a design center with an actual design vision and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Tektronix.

Worked for Tektronix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tektronix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tektronix CEO Amir Aghdaei. All reviews posted anonymously by Tektronix employees.