80% Frustrating 20% Fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

- Several knowledgeable people eager to help. - Casual work environment - Flexible hours

Cons

- Lots of decisions being made without taking all stakeholders into consideration. - Too many last minute requests that are unrealistic to finish by the promised deadlines. - Pay and benefits are average, bonuses are non-existent and any kind of stock options given are worthless because the company is run like a government contractor, not a tech company (little to no growth means stagnant or dropping stock price). - Offshore contractors often hinder efficiency rather than improve it.

Other Employee Reviews for TeleCommunication Systems

1. A fine place to work with good people

Former Employee - Senior Manager of Engineering in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager of Engineering in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

TCS (navigation division) is more interested in progress than blame. They are aggressive in work and deadlines, but they don't play the blame game when things go wrong. They just concentrate on how to get things going and complete. The people were friendly and helpful. Technical management knows both technical areas and management. They hold bi-weekly recognition meetings for people who have contributed to the latest releases and deadlines. A nice place to work. I only left due to relocation issues.

Cons

There is a pervasive sense of urgency that can lead to feeling pressured. Like any company, they have challenges with too much work and not enough people.

Advice to Management

My advice is unique to my situation. I relocated to the Aliso Viejo site from Chicago, and it would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if I'd been able to bring my wife there prior to accepting the offer. That would have revealed that the relocation wasn't going to work, and saved everyone some trouble. For senior positions where a relo is called for, I think this should be policy.

2. Management constrained

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Tampa, FL

Pros

Expsoure to new technology and travel.

Cons

Management constrained employeed indivduality. Dont recognize indidual accomplishments, very "follow the rules" atmosphere. Supervisor un-approachable/distant.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees...be open/ask for communication...