NOC Technician

Former Employee - Network Engineer
Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Holidays, 401k, health, EAP, and other benefits.

Cons

Micromanagement and acquisitions of various companies. Huge drop in stock price due to minimal options available to trade. Div presidents receive a cut of profits as a bonus from what's left over, unfortunately this leads them to not hiring the proper engineers that require a higher salary so their bonuses are higher.

Advice to Management

Hire the proper engineers for the job.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Management

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Coffee here in Seattle office. Some fun people and interesting 911 work which I think is really important

Cons

Some of my co-workers have been resigning and we just lost the best exec leader we've ever had. Company is slow to recognize and solve issues and is short sighted when it comes to investing in the future. Otherwise, I TCS like today and have for the last 10 years.

Advice to Management

Annapolis execs should fund important projects for the future.

Dysfunctional Sales Management - Government Solutions Group (GSG)

Former Employee - Federal Account Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Federal Account Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Business Development Support Group (BDSG) is a top notch professional proposal management organization. They make getting a proposal out the door run very smoothly. Non GSG organizations have some well respected products and services out in the marketplace.

Cons

There are many Cons to working here. First, the job title and plan are for a sales person when in actuality the job is Business Development. Starting out at TCS you will live on your base salary from Day 1, you can receive a recoverable draw but I don't know of anyone actually receiving commissions so the draw will need to be paid back. The commission structure is such that you get no commissions until you are over 25% of your yearly number so your initial sales are completely commission free. It isn't until you exceed 75% of the yearly number that you receive 100% commission. Oh and you only receive commissions quarterly and that is 2 months after the quarter in question. Turnover: People either leave or are asked leave typically one year or so after hiring on. Sales people leave because they aren't making any money or you are asked to leave because of a lack of sales. In large part the company doesn't want to make an investment in an individual to actually penetrate an account. When I was asked to leave in just under a year my boss, boss's boss and all 3 peers in my department the day I started at the company were already gone, I was next in line. This systematic approach also prevents them from ever paying commissions. Management: I met the CEO of this 1400 person company once at the company holiday party and he never held one "all hands" meeting of any sort. The President of GSG reports quarterly on the numbers but never demonstrates any leadership or personal qualities to the group. He governs with an iron fist and his management style is to manage to the opportunities loaded into SFDC.com. Up until recently there were internal meetings every day, about 6 weeks ago a new 9-4 rule went into affect so now all internal meetings take place before 9 or after 4. There are now daily meetings at 7:45am or 5:30pm just to cover all the internal meetings. Minimum of 10 hour days are typical. In addition, the culture is very DOD - military-centric. The CEO is a NAVY grad and the President of GSG is a West Point grad. There is an inner circle of male managers that are protected from everything, women are either spoken about or their opinions are disregarded.

Advice to Management

HR needs to really understand what's going on and fix the problem of the internal treatment of employees. TCS needs to alter their current management structure so that there is one sales force selling all TCS products and services. The divisions have their own P&L and often leads to poor management decisions because they don't necessarily do what's right for the customer if it means involving another division. Cross train all employees to be fluent in all that TCS has to offer.