Telefund

There are newer employer reviews for Telefund

Great opportunity for experience

Current Employee - Assistant Call Center Director in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Assistant Call Center Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Telefund

Pros

There was flexibility in the hours that were worked. You also got to have face-to-face interaction and coaching of those employees you lead.

Cons

Time constraints of being able to meet with each employee. It was a large work environment with a lot of turn over.

Keep the morale high but offering incentive programs for those working. Keep monitoring the performance of all employees weekly. This is the key to a strong team.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Telefund (View Most Recent)

By far the most depressing place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Telefund

Pros

It's a breeze to get hired here. Show up dressed like a grownup, smile, talk about how much you love Obama and gay marriage, and you're in. You can go from interview to probationary status within a day. Flexible hours, obviously, and most of the people who work there (the callers, I mean) are pretty nice to talk to. Dress code is ridiculously relaxed, if that's what you're into. There's some good looking girls there, as well.

Cons

Oh, where to start.

First, it's a pain in the neck to get there. Parking is your problem, and you all know how the buses are around here.

Next, the pay scale: they try to hook you by telling you that you have the opportunity to make beaucoup bucks there, but in reality the pay scale averages out to $8-9 an hour, probably less if you're calling lists that are stepped all over (which you will if there's nothing hot to call). Which is fine--it's an easy enough job where you can collect $9 an hour for basically not doing anything, but there's a regular, bi-weekly review of your performance where they reassess your pay rate based on how well you did the previous pay period (as I understand it). That's messed up. If you flunk too many of those, they'll cut you off. You essentially have zero job security and no guarantee of pay above minimum wage, no raises, no way to work full time, no real benefits to speak of. Etc.

Third: They watch you, non stop. It goes beyond quality control or just plain old supervision. They literally watch over your shoulder while you call. There's someone pacing the aisles just about every minute of the day. It's very off putting. That's not even the worst part--i saw the terminal where they electronically monitor the callers. They track the length and conduct and outcome of every call, and if someone is taking too long, they get to have an ugly conversation with a manager. Not terribly progressive of them. I understand the need to make sure that the work is getting done right, but Telefund's approach is (and I don't use this term lightly) rather Orwellian. They almost never kill people, though. So you've got that going for you.

Finally: Working at Telefund is really, really depressing. It's like spending all day in a welfare office. Nasty carpets, nasty chairs, nasty tables, nasty lights. Grubby computer equipment. Pizza boxes and propaganda piled waist high along the walls, and a cadre of really broke, really depressed people raising money for progressive organizations in the employ of a group that pays them absolute peanuts, doesn't give them benefits or full time employee status, resists every attempt to organize, refuses to coach and cultivate talent, and fires people for no good reason. I've worked more than a few crap jobs in my life and I've never felt as stepped on as I have at Telefund.

I'll skip over the very sophomoric observation that Telefund itself is far from progressive when it comes to its labor practices; it should suffice to say that Telefund's solvency as an organization and it's business model depend to a large degree on a high amount of staff turnover. Therefore, it doesn't seem like Telefund goes out of it's way to encourage, coach, train, or foster genuine talent among it's employees. Logically, if they built, through months of training, a more generous and equitable pay model, and genuine, honest to goodness encouragement, a competent and happy workforce, then by god some of them might stick around longer than a few months. Which would probably be bad for their bottom line--you can't have people hanging around too long, or they might start making demands--raises, guaranteed hours, healthcare--and then, horror of horrors, they might try and unionize. These are, by and large, Democrats. You've got to watch out for those commies.

I understand why Telefund pays so poorly and why it doesn't encourage talent--that would contribute to a workforce competent and confident enough to start making demands of the organization. But understanding isn't the same as an endorsement. Telefund is a genuinely terrible place to work. Unless you really need to make some quick cash, I'd keep your options open. Delivering pizza is more fun and it pays better. Let's just put it that way.

Pay people better, guarantee them hours, give them benefits, and train them to be good callers. Abandon the business model that depends on high turnover and cultivate genuine talent. Stop treating your people suspiciously.

They lean to the left here in Austin

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Telefund part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job for a college student. Liberal environment. Easy cash.

Cons

Liberal environment. Must read the script.

There are newer employer reviews for Telefund