There are newer employer reviews for Telefund

Not as bad as some make it sound

I worked at Telefund

Pros

Flex hours, fun environment, causes you can believe in

Cons

High turnover, poor management, boiler room atmosphere

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not For Everyone-Good Experience for Students, Recent Grads

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Boston, MA

I worked at Telefund part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You learn about various non-profits that Telefund works for. Depending on the campaign, you call people to talk about a specific issue and ask for a donation and or ask people who haven't been active with an organization in awhile to renew their membership with the group (sometimes both). Either way, at the end of the day, it's all about how much money you raised. It's interesting and informative if you're a politically-orientated, liberal leaning person.
    -Scheduling is flexible and managers work with your schedule as much as possible.
    -You do receive paid training and managers do try to help you if you are struggling.
    -This work can be rewarding, fun and interesting, but it can also feel fruitless, draining and impossible, especially if you are unable to persuade people to give to your certain cause.

Cons

-The atmosphere is not very professional. You basically work in front of an outdated computer wearing a headset that makes you look like you have orthodontic head gear. The set up in the office I worked in was very odd—different offices scattered across one floor.

Advice to Management

Be more honest about the difficulties of fundraising. Avoid the high turnover rates.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Caller in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Caller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Telefund part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. What they're doing is awful.

Cons

Evil people working for "progressive" casuses but treating their employees like slave labor in a boiler room operation. Any company that makes you go off the clock to use the restroom is evil. You get no benefits whatsoever, and you are under constant threat of being fired. During my time working at Telefund on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, I was encouraged to badger people into giving money, lie to them, and generally be dishonest. When one woman told me she couldn't give because her husband had just died of cancer, I was yelled at for not saying to her "why don't you make a contribution in his memory".

I can't believe that great causes like the ACLU, Amnesty, the Human Rights Campaign and the ASPCA actually use these people. They are awful.

Advice to Management

None. Dismantle this evil company. I can't believe great causes like Amnesty, the ACLU, the HRC and Obama for America keep them solvent. If they knew what went on there they wouldn't. I hope anyway.