10-week internship impression left me looking elsewhere

Former Intern - Intern in Farmingdale, NY
Former Intern - Intern in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

gave good insight into defense industry.
ability to move around within the company.
mentor was very helpful and always made sure I had work to do, though other interns weren't as lucky.
gained connections for recommendations.
4.5 day work week was nice.

Cons

highly disorganized. employees spend at least as much time in meetings discussing what should be done on a project as they do actually working on a project. employees are constantly running around trying to find someone or waiting for someone to return from vacation before progressing.

Advice to Management

fewer/shorter meetings and better communication between people on the same project.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very unpleasent, a cover your A#!@ enviorment

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics

Pros

Interesting technologies\end products to work on

Cons

Top heavy, too many chiefs, cover your back-side enviorement. each engineering class seemed pitted against one another...System engineering not playing nice with Electrical engineering. I was hired to work as a lead engineer on the NETCOM-V program, which I learned later was in very bad shape, was plegged with problems do to poor past amangement decisons....program was hemerging money due to outside entity having done the actual hands-on design. Two prior lead engineers were gone through before I was hired. I was let go 9 months later...first time in my entire career.

Advice to Management

I belive this needs to be addresed at the top-most level (i.e. GM level) and then down. Thier issue is really a culture issue. A sense of unity between all displines needs to be ushered in by Joe Battaglia thta promotesaccountability at the manager levels.

Internship

Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Huntington, NY

I worked at Telephonics

Pros

10 week internship was a great experience although I was in school for a degree in aero engineering. I learned how to use new software such as AutoCAD and became very familiar with manufacturing processes. I was also able to co-lead a new program which included operation sheet production and assembly line maintenance. They offered good programs and workshops for interns. 4 1/2 day work week was also great.

Cons

Most of the work was very simple as there was not much time during the 10 weeks to be taught more complex tasks. Some things became routine.

Advice to Management

My manager was very informative and helpful however there was not enough work to keep me busy. I had to repeatedly go back and ask for new projects.