Tellabs
www.tellabs.com Naperville, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sinking Fast

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tellabs

Pros- Some very competent Engineers and generally a good bunch of people to work with.
- Good work / life balance.
- Decent benefits / compensation.

Cons- Company has no respect for Engineers.
- Company is incapable of organic product development because they refuse to respect and retain talent. The only way they can innovate is to buy other companies.
- Too many layers of management who are more concerned with reorganizing to protect their own jobs than doing what is right for the success of the company.
- Management decisions are based upon politics and turf-wars between HQ in Naperville, IL and remote offices rather than what is best for the product or company as a whole.
- Some very bad hiring decisions were made just to get people in the door. Resulted in incompetent or very inexperienced people working on critical projects.
- Constant reorganizations and layoffs. More effort is put into reorganizing than how to produce a good product.
- Poor decisions have put the company years behind the competition.
- Sad story. Was a decent company until the current CEO took over. I was hoping they would continue to grow their Silicon Valley presence (like so many other companies) and become a growing force in the networking industry. Unfortunately they are reducing their presence in Silicon Valley, retreating to HQ, and making extremely poor decisions that will ultimately lead to their demise.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO and anyone reporting to him. The only way this old mid-Western company is going to compete in the networking industry is to clear out the incompetent management and get people in charge (preferably from Silicon Valley) who are willing to do the right things.

My experience was positive

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tellabs

Pros: My manger was a nice person and he took care of us… Cons: No raise for 4 years Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

frequent layoffs

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tellabs

Pros: good learning environment competitive salary good coworkers Cons: incompetent leadership health benefits lousy frequent layoffs Advice to Senior Management: incompetent management needs to be weeded out. Poor decision making… More

There are newer reviews on Tellabs.

Worked for Tellabs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tellabs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tellabs CEO Daniel P. Kelly. All reviews posted anonymously by Tellabs employees.