Great experience so far

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Telogis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High integrity company
Company takes care of its people
Lots of autonomy - "Be your own CEO" isn't much of an exaggeration
You are made to feel welcome and truly a part of the team
Lots of opportunity for innovation
Best benefits package I've seen in several decades
Fast paced in a good way
Seems like everyone truly feels like they are contributing
Easiest expense filing system I've ever worked with

Cons

Fast pace and heavily matrixed organization makes it hard to stay in sync

Advice to Management

Don't let the investment or potential IPO change the many, many things you're doing right (great benefits, company credit cards for frequent travelers, investment in people - particularly new hires). This is a great company and can be even greater in the future if we don't diverge from doing the things that have made us successful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Telogis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endless supply of money for over-the-top parties, tradeshow booths, corporate offices, and the like.
    Both of their presidents and the CEO are solid
    An analogy for the sales position at Telogis is like that sketchy person you end up briefly dating right after you end a long term relationship with a significant other; it's your "rebound" while you look for the next legitimate stop in your sales career. With a decent base salary and no real consequences for not making your sales numbers, it's ideal for anyone in need of a "short-term" place to park while they figure things out. Who knows, maybe you'll be one of the few that figure out a way to make some actual commissions there and end up staying. They don't really care about you, you most likely won't feel much allegiance towards Telogis, and the whole thing just kinda works itself out in a year or so for most people. I'm sure if you search out any the 100+ former Telogis sales reps on Linked In, most will have similar feedback - I'd be willing to bet my Telogis commission checks on it.

Cons

Incredible turnover rate, driven by the fact that nobody makes any real money there.
    Work/life balance is bad at most sales companies, it's horrendous at Telogis
    Like endless Webex sales meetings and conference calls? If so, then this is the job for you.
    Salesforce was beyond useless based on how it was locked down

Advice to Management

1) FYI: Just saying "we're Telogis, we'll find a way, and we'll figure it out" over and over again doesn't actually fix any problems.
    2) Your fleet tool is good. Your other offerings are not. If you're going to advertise "one platform for location intelligence", you should think about having all of the other solutions actually work, and then actually work together within your platform.
    3) I never understood the strategy of always saying "we're the Premium Provider" and slapping an extremely high price tag on the telematics solution (which is basically a commodity sale), when other equally good solutions only cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much, then applying a heavy discount in the 11th hour to try and be competitive to win the business. What you're doing becomes very transparent to the sales rep, the competition, and the customer.

Discriminatory Hiring Practices

I have been working at Telogis

Pros

Good technology, good products, strong VC backing

Cons

If you're over 40 forget about applying for a job here. Since the KPCB investment there has been clear trend towards only hiring people in their 20s and 30s at the expense of more mature and industry knowledgeable people. In fact, most new hires since the KPCB investment have been recent college graduates or younger people with virtually no fleet management or mobile experience and it shows.

Advice to Management

Stop excluding more experienced, knowledgeable candidates from the hiring pool because of their age. If you keep filling your ranks with inexperienced 20 and 30 somethings that look good on paper but don't know diddley about the fleet management business it will catch up with you in a hurry. In fact, it already has.