There are newer employer reviews for Telstra

great first start

Current Employee - Technical Specialist  in  Sydney (Australia)
Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Telstra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

plenty of resources and links at your disposal and possible career paths visible

Cons

you need to find your own promotions your boss wont recommend you for new areas it is upto you to create the networks and contacts needed

the customer focus is great thank you to your improvements made

162 Other Employee Reviews for Telstra (View Most Recent)

Pretty happy here - good place to work

I have been working at Telstra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People Changing Culture Products Work Life Balance

Cons

Travel from home to work is too far

Get the teams to rate their managers as well... The Team Managers don't get rated by their teams in our area and the 2-up only see's that the Team Manager lets them see

Most backwards company I've worked in so far

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer  in  Clayton North (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Clayton North (Australia)

I worked at Telstra full-time for more than a year

Pros

easy life, not much asked from you, not required to be always up to date with technology

Cons

If you care of what you do and of the jobs that would be open to you once you move on, Telstra is not the place to be.
    It is a company that kills brains and demotivates people. It discourages people to bring new ideas, and teaches people to be afraid of doing it - over one year, I've seen practically no one coming up with ideas, and people who were for a while in company kept telling me that if I find out of some good idea from them, I should not tell it's from them as they won't back it up. Thus most times I had to say it's mine to be able to put it on the table.
    People simply ignore everyone else.

Just to clarify that I'm not a freak :), in my past history I've been offered partnership in a medium size software company (which was bought by Amazon later on) and was evaluated as key performer in other big company 3 years in a row (only up to 10% of the team get that evaluation).

Bottom line, if you are OK with damaging your brain and potentially becoming unemployable in any normal public company, go for Telstra. Otherwise, run away.

Encourage initiative, bottom up innovation. Hire tech savvy management. Treat people as partners, not slaves.

There are newer employer reviews for Telstra

Worked for Telstra? Contribute to the Community!