Ten Thousand Villages

www.tenthousandvillages.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ten Thousand Villages

Ten Thousand Villages works for a good cause. They do the best they can for a non-profit organization.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ten Thousand Villages part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For a good cause, good pay

Cons

A lot of responsibility for the wage. Since the company is very understaffed, close to impossible to switch hours with someone else, and often there isn't enough time to do everything necessary.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Ten Thousand Villages (View Most Recent)

Great Company

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages

Pros

Awesome company to work for. Great supervisors. They have free fair trade high quality, good tasting, coffee available to all warehouse workers.

Cons

Most positions require you to be at work at 7am. If your not a morning person this might not be the place for you. But I like the hours.

Very toxic work environment !!

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Akron, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Akron, PA

I worked at Ten Thousand Villages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company mission of supporting artisans in developing and underdeveloped countries and the ideals of "fair trade", is what drove my decision to accept a position with Ten Thousand Villages. After about six (6) months it was clear to me that the fair trade ideals and mission of supporting artisans in developing and underdeveloped countries is nothing more than a marketing concept for Ten Thousand Villages. The artisans are not paid even a fraction of the price you see the over priced items selling for in the stores. Ten Thousand Villages is appropriately nicknamed "The Wal-Mart of Fair Trade".

Cons

I agree 100% with the comments under "My Experience" posted on February-21. The corporate office at Ten Thousand Villages is very "cliquish" and if an employee does not fit into the clique, they are harassed, mobbed (a term finally catching on in the U.S), bullied, excluded from meetings and information, and will even try to discredit them with other employees. Shamefully this type of harassing behavior is being directed from and by upper management, as often the "target" of the harassing has more knowledge and better ideas than current upper management, and therefore seen as a threat. This has created a very toxic work environment, which has resulted in a exodus of many intelligent, skilled and dedicated employees. I feel the exodus will continue.

This is very despicable behavior for a company that praises it self as "one of the worlds most ethical companies". The company violates many laws and regulations, which I believe upper management feels justified to do, as they are fair trade and work with developing and underdeveloped countries. This again does not support the claim of being an ethical company.

Many of the products imported and sold in Ten Thousand Villages stores are very cheaply made, which does not support the ideals of quality "handcrafted" items. There were almost daily customer complaints of products falling apart, catching on fire and bugs coming out of them, etc.

When Craig Schloneger had stepped down as CEO, the company had an opportunity to recruit a CEO with knowledge and success in the international retail business, but made the decision not to do so, which I believe was a big mistake.

Upper management at Ten Thousand Villages is comprised of narcissistic sociopaths, therefore they would not be accepting of any advice given to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Ten Thousand Villages