There are newer employer reviews for Teradata

This dinosaur is heading for extinction

Former Employee - Engineer
Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Teradata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Years ago they used to make money

Cons

Addicted to hardware, the majority of the revenue is from it after marking it 1000% and well just look at hardware companies these days. No room for upward mobility. Company is old and running out of ideas. Always reactive to keep their few big customers happy. Most the people are very very old and do just enough to get by day to day. Loosing huge ground to the competition. No actual cloud vision at all just smoke and mirrors. ITS organization is the oldest, most out of date I've ever seen. See all the other reviews on the IT group, they are dead on. R&D is slow, hugely overburdened with the mountains of ridiculous formal processes. I mean how many times do you need to write a formal design document for a feature that should take no more than 100 lines of code. Understaffed all the time. Never willing to hear new ideas, even the CTO level is closed to any new ideas or concepts. Do not see the competition or recognize the changing industry.

Advice to Management

Abandon ship...this is going the way of HP,Dell,and all the others.

Other Employee Reviews for Teradata

Freedom to be as creative as you are capable

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Teradata full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay...bonus and other benefits...leading edge company on the forefront of BIG data and analytics. great opportunities for advancement. They also are very understanding and supportive of a great balance between work and life and do realize you have a family.

Cons

As with any large organization, politics, unfortunately, play a part in the company culture. For example, spinning off as our own corporate entity from NCR gave us an opportunity to fix some of the previous culture's broken processes. Instead of fixing them, we took them lock, stock, and barrel and will "fix them later". That's just a silly management decision and, of course, they still have not been fixed, three years later.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your people. You tout them as experts, but don't listen when they suggest opportunities for organizational improvements

This company is sooo old

I worked at Teradata full-time

Pros

There is very little in the pros, maybe that they don't charge us for parking.

Cons

Literally everyone you'll meet is 50s+, most have been there forever, and all are content to just do the bare minimum to scrape by. Very little innovation or thought leadership.