Terminix

There are newer employer reviews for Terminix

Nothing is free at tmx

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The difficulty of keeping your head above water prepares you to be a superstar at your next job.

Cons

You've got a commission against draw system for sales reps so no matter how well you do at any point in your career you'll start every month 2000 dollars in debt. You have to claw your way out of that hole each month using your own car and gas which I put about 60000 miles a year on my cars. Saturday's are mandatory and calls can be as late as 9 o clock at night. The company advertises a free no obligation termite inspection so even the best salesmen work late nights for free. The only way they motivate their people is by comparing them to each other and having them compete for the same money and territory but territories and goals are ever changing as they've been through 4 presidents in 5 years. Run the other direction from this sandpit. No job is better than this job. Not good for career salesman.

Management changes every six months so advice would be wasted. I think the current CEO used to run burger King or something.

213 Other Employee Reviews for Terminix (View Most Recent)

Good at first.........down hill quick

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

payed the bills and more

Cons

dealing with cut throat associates and managers

get a real manager, not a ex barrista manager who only thinks terminix is the only game in town

Over-Promises to Prospective Employees, Under-delivers in a Massive Way

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are in sales, you will have the strength of a 4 billion dollar company to lend credibility to your services. The big name brand will not get you the sale, but it doesn't hurt either.

Cons

Management is a roll of the dice. Most managers are worrying about hitting pay bonuses, and are not really concerned about a quality work environment for their employees. I worked out of the Ft. Myers, FL branch, so I can't speak for any other location. Certainly each person's job will vary depending on the local management, the quality of which you will not be able to ascertain until you begin working. There was intense pressure to sell (not uncommon in sales) but little help coming from the back office in terms of lead generation. Because termite season is just that--seasonal--you will experience feast or famine scenarios. When the termites are swarming, the calls will come in, when they stop, so do the leads. In S.W. Florida, the pest control market is thoroughly saturated, so it's not as though there is a lot of growth occurring. If you're going to generate a sale creatively, you're going to have to take it from another company, and that is no easy task. Salespeople do not get company vehicles at Terminix. Nor do you get compensated for fuel. At the time of my employment, you would get a "salary" in advance of commissions of about $1,600 per month. You would have to outsell that in order to make more money, and if you can't manage it within a few months, you will be out of a job.

That being said, I was averaging about $3-$4k per month after about 3 months of working for Terminix. I was going after larger projects for larger commissions, but had them scalped by "Regional Sales Guys". I eventually resigned after management failed to make good on a bonus for sales that I had earned.

If you work to help your salespeople find success, you will hit your bonuses. If you grind them, they will eventually wear out and quit. Cultivate long-term employees, rather than just churning through them to meet numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Terminix