Terrapinn

www.terrapinn.com
  www.terrapinn.com
There are newer employer reviews for Terrapinn

Pretty good overall.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in North Sydney (Australia)
Current Employee - Sales Manager in North Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Terrapinn

Pros

Good office culture, good networking opportunities through forming relationships with tier 1 executives whilst organising events, and reasonable pay.

Cons

On the phone all day trying to meet KPIs, make sales and keep activity up.

None

86 Other Employee Reviews for Terrapinn (View Most Recent)

Great people, good management and ample opportunities if you're willing to work hard

Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working at Terrapinn for close to a year in a production role. It started out pretty rough, mainly because I had NO idea what I was doing. I had no experience in the conference industry, and there was certainly a steep learning curve.

Although I struggled a bit at first, management is terrific and REALLY helped me develop in my role. I like that they actually welcome mistakes, as long as they are constructive mistakes that you can learn and grow from (god knows I made a lot of them). In less than a year's time, I progressed from being utterly clueless with zero experience in the industry to becoming a knowledgeable, confident and successful producer with multiple top-notch events under my belt.

I've also been a part of a not-so-good event, which, although not fun to be a part of, is a learning experience in itself. By seeing where I failed the first time, I was able to avoid the same mistakes in subsequent events. Now, I have pulled off consecutive top-notch events, developed some great relationships with industry leaders, and have a thorough understanding of the ins and outs of event production.

I've experienced a tremendous amount of personal and professional growth at Terrapinn, more than any other time in my life. Most of this is due to having really great people around me, but also working in an environment that affords you the flexibility to make mistakes, experiment, learn, grow and really take ownership of the events that you're working on. I can't speak for everyone, but I really feel like I'm part of a team that's building something great.

The office is filled with really awesome people from all over the world. I'm happy to call quite a few of them my good friends now.

Cons

I would say it's definitely a sink or swim type of environment. If you can't sell, or don't deliver results, you won't last. Too often, people that quit or are fired tend to point the finger at other people. Sometimes you're put in a difficult situation, maybe even an unfair situation, but you have to be willing to take ownership of your projects and bust your butt. If you do, then you will get the recognition you deserve. There's no substitute for hard work.

Salary is largely dependent on the profile of the events you're working on. Some events are MUCH more profitable than others. But just because you get put on a "less-than-profitable" event doesn't mean you can't make it profitable if you put forth the effort.

You're on the right track. The office is really turning around and moving in the right direction. The right people seem to be in place and I think there are big things to come in 2015 and beyond. Just make sure you reward the people that deserve it and keep using positive reinforcement to keep morale high. It seems like a lot of the sales people can get really down on themselves if they're going through a rough patch.

The phone time thing is way overrated in my opinion. Quality of phone calls, not quantity, should be emphasized. Just my two cents.

Good company. Good people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in Terrapinn's New York office for over 5 years and really enjoyed my time. Over the years I gained some valuable experience and made good friends. The events industry isn't easy so only hard work will bring success. The opportunities for travel and personal growth are very good.

Cons

Working on launch events can be difficult so make sure all the project team is focused on what has to be done.

Focus more on sales training for less experienced people.

There are newer employer reviews for Terrapinn