There are newer employer reviews for Tesco

Great place to work, with an opportunity to get on if you want to

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

I have been working at Tesco

Pros

Intresting Work
Great career opportunity
place where one can build a life long career with challenging roles all the way

Cons

Talent Planning is reasonable by doesnt always work
Inconsistnacy in people processes across the company

reviews filtered by
  1. Investment in staff is needed

Current Employee - Line Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Line Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Tesco

Pros

* 10% discount
    * options to buy shares through wage
    * Good pension
    * Free shares every year
    * Better benefits and wage than competitors
    * Subsidised meals (NOT IN EXPRESS)
    * Good training
    * Extra holidays at 5, 10 & 15yr anniversarys
    * Good holidays

Cons

* If the face fits seems to be the key for progression.
    * The goal posts seem to move quite frequently
    * Lack of staff in superstore & Extra stores
    * Lack of investment in retaining staff
    * Personnel managers generally aren't personable, and when staff go to them with issues, it feels like that we are an inconvience
    * The divide between night staff and day staff is an us and them culture, but managers do little to improve the divide, nor to sort the issues out for them
    * So much pressure is on the night shift, due to the staff shortages on days, the night shift are expected to turn the store round, and get beasted when they don't

Invest in staff at store level. I shopped in a Metro last week, and over the tannoy all I could hear was for relief staff to the tills, managers to the tills, and there was no staff on the shopfloor to help customers!

Its worse in Extras, I went to my old store, and there was only one memeber of staff on the whole of fresh, and they were trying to carry out reductions, whilst running in the back every ten minutes to get offsales for customers, and it was only 19:30!!!

Sales are down across Extras, I don't know whether the customer footfall is down, or whether they are spending less, but after visiting my old store, I would not shop there again if I could help it! Poor availabilty, no staff to help customers, and still queues, and apparrently the store is overspent! this was a store of excellence when I worked there, taking £1.7m a week!

Finally, the night team are never appreciated, or supported. Don't what can be done, but it can be done better.

2. ok for a student or someone looking to wind down for retirement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Tesco

Pros

the people you work with are generally nice, not the management (with exceptions), social aspect is ok also nights out every so often.

Cons

they make out like they are all for work/life balance and time off when you need it etc, they try to talk to you about how you must take holidays off weeks at a time and not a few days here and there!!!! NO they are MY holidays and i will use them as I need to not as you want me to!!!!!!

ensure managers have respect for staff at all levels and not just for the ones they are friends with ensure they are aware of treat as you want to be treated!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Tesco