Tesla Motors

www.teslamotors.com
There are newer employer reviews for Tesla Motors

Resigned because very chaotic work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice and intelligent. People look out for one another depending what team you are on. Making an absolute great product for the world that drives exceptionally well. Won motor trend car of the year.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about work/life balance and the hours are brutal for everyone. Disorganized process system with poor communication throughout the company. Vehicle manufacturing and power train teams don't work together due to management.

Care more about your employees as they are the ones that make the car, which in turn keeps the company alive.

190 Other Employee Reviews for Tesla Motors (View Most Recent)

This place is like whipping a dead horse.

Former Employee - Production Associate in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros, if any, were having free cereal, free soda, and the pay was decent considering how awful our situation is still on-going. The work isn't standardized yet, but this allows you to develop and implement better processes. There is a lot of room for individuals to make improvements to what is currently in use.

Cons

This company ergonomically fails every day. They seem to think that everyone is built like Superman. Through out the shop I saw and where I worked the associates have to constantly carry heavy equipment and parts. There really is no rotation at all, and if you do complain enough you do in fact get to do another task. The thing is that since everything isn't ergonomic you end up hurting the next set of muscles. Then they move you back to your original task while not letting you recover.

Another thing is that team members and all other grunt associates get treated very poorly. I have seen close to no action taken by any leadership type of employee about the well being and safety of their underlings. I also think that inhaling smoke from burnt sealant is hazardous to ones's health even if its in small constant quantities being blown in your face. One other thing is that management wants things to improve, which is a good thing; but when the associates do make improvements the Team Leads get all the credit and once in a while they get a bonus. Not once did we get acknowledged for our hard work. The only message they gave out was to work harder, faster, and longer.

There is a lot of overtime in that company, and I think the average person works 72-78 hours a week if not more. They allow no time to let your body recover from the hard work they require of all their grunts.

I do not recommend working for this company. They do not care about their employees; they only care about making money. If you are a contractor then good luck because they will take almost no interest in you until you pass out. That of which I have seen.

The few things that keep the workers up on their feet is Nos, Monster, Red Bull, various candies, soda, and a ton of back and wrist braces.

The only help you are going to get is from yourself.

Look into hiring competent HR personnel who can get things done sooner rather than months later. Get a training course for all leadership associates. Most in particular are Team Leads and supervisors. They need to be more sensitive and caring for those that work under them. Don't have them start the day with obscenities and insults. That just makes others very upset which results in inferior quality in their work.

The worst company to work ever!!!!

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Innovative technology. Free Cereal. Nice rural location.

Cons

This company is still a start up and is run by inexperienced and clueless managers. They treat contractors as if they were nothing, they make false promises and never fulfill them. There are no policies or procedures in place so if you are the unlucky one to work for a tyrannical manager you will never make in this company because the manager will never give you a chance to learn or to advance. My advice to anyone who is considering employment with this company, never, ever work for this company, you will regret it. There are a lot of other companies in the Bay area that treat the employees in a more humane way.

Hire an HR consultant to review your management style and have all managers participate in sensitivity courses and management training before you get sued!!!!!
    You don't operate in a third world country.

There are newer employer reviews for Tesla Motors