EE Intern

Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very excited to work on a cool product. You get to be around beautiful cars People in the bay area think you're a rock star(for now) As an intern, you will get to hear speeches from senior management including Elon. This brings a lot of very cool insight into company cultures and values.

Cons

Expensive area Inters do not receive much respect, but this is typical to most companies Employees who aren't from Stanford do not get treated as well as Stanford students. Some projects are boring, but that is typical for internships As an intern, this didn't matter to me, but many employees were upset over the lack of raises and the lack of reinvestment of profits into employee satisfaction. I think now that Tesla is more successful, employees feel that management would reward them for their work by following a compensation model similar to google(IE lounges, expensive shuttles, nice cafeteria)

Advice to Management

Allow employees to drive vehicles.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Product Specialist - Great Part-time job to compliment College or University studies

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New, emerging, and innovative technologies with flashy appeal. It draws the buzz of what working with an early-Google did years ago. Tesla is very organized in making sure its employees communicate clearly and effectively. Asking questions amongst the team is strongly encouraged. Perks include working with trendy storefront technologies, driving a vehicle only few can enjoy on a daily basis, assisting the detailing team wash, prep, and detail vehicles at the service center, and participating in occasional special events.

Cons

With a relatively-new startup, there are many processes still being established. For a part-time store employee, keeping up-to-date with emails even when not on-the-clock is expected. Also, work schedules seem to change frequently and are released on an intermittent schedule. Pay is fixed hourly rate and very low for 'selling' "Premium Vehicles."

Advice to Management

Interview process is very disorganized. Some employees are hired on-the-spot whereas others takes 3-4 months with one interview per month. Just as visiting a store service center and specific store you are working at is expected; I'd recommend new employees go through the vehicle purchase process including factory visit so that employees can see and be compassionate about entire process that Tesla "Experience."

2. Great people, great work

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt like my work was very fulfilling. The facilities are great, the location lets you meet lots of tech people (if that's what you're into), and really have nothing to complain about.

Cons

Coming from a university where I was one of the smartest, so many brilliant people made me worry a lot about my own skills. It took me a while for me to turn it into inspiration, but it's quite the change.