Tesoro Corporation

Lianson between business and IT

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Tesoro Corporation

Pros

Nice environment, interesting work continual changes

Cons

Management bottle necks projects before they get worked on

none

56 Other Employee Reviews for Tesoro Corporation (View Most Recent)

Bad office politics

Former Employee - Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Tesoro Corporation

Pros

A few people I worked with were very good, very professional, and compensation and benefits were above average. With operations in Alaska and Hawaii, corporate travel can be a good thing.

Cons

I had eight supervisors in the six years I was there, only one of which had any experience in my specialty. She was gone in a matter of months. Promotions and advancements are strictly based on office politics -- good people were thrown overboard while kiss-ups, or the children of country-club cronies, zoomed up the ladder.

One can only hope the recent changes in senior management will improve personnel management.

Senior retail management needs sensitivity training

Current Employee - Store Manager in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Tesoro Corporation

Pros

Quarterly bonuses are issued. Tuition reimbursement, medical plan, and 401(k) are available. Flexible schedules. Paid vacation.

Cons

Tuition reimbursement is issued to those who are pursuing in an educational field that will benefit the company. As far as I can tell, the available educational majors would be marketing or petroleum engineering. Medical plan is offered by Starbridge, which is NOT, I repeat, NOT a real health care insurance group. Company will match dollar-for-dollar, up to 6% of employee's pretax income.

Most, if not all, senior retail management needs sensitivity training. Just because their underlings earn low wages does not mean their employees are inferior beings. Belittling your employees and making absurd remarks, such as, "Why are sales down? It looks like you haven't been plus selling. It also looks like a new manager may be taking your spot if you can't improve the sales." I don't understand why senior retail management is not aware that there are many uncontrollable factors that affect sales performance. No wonder morale is low. Ever thought about boosting morale? It's as easy as showing some respect towards your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Tesoro Corporation