Texas Campaign for the Environment

www.texasenvironment.org
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment

Most of my best friends are folks I met through working at TCE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

* Almost everyone on staff keeps up with current events and enjoys intelligent conversation. * Walking around from 4-9 PM is good exercise. * Generating handwritten letters to policymakers (and sometimes hand-delivering them) is empowering. * The organization is almost entirely community funded, so campaign objectives are never beholden to corporate or government interests. * Health insurance, vacation and sick days are all offered. * Ten day training program covers all basic canvassing skills and FAQs on current campaigns. * Travel opportunities exist to cross-train at other canvassing organizations around the country. * Talking to 40-50 people every night means you meet really interesting people on a regular basis...and you realize that supporters of environmental campaigns are quite a diverse bunch. * The skills you need to do this job well are skills that are useful in many other aspects of life (strong eye contact, speaking confidently and concisely, how to read a map, how to find common ground with someone who seems very different from you, etc, etc, etc).

Cons

* While about half the people you approach each day get involved in the campaign, the other half do not, and some non-supporters are quite rude -- the overly sensitive need not apply. * Although $7.25/hour is guaranteed, advertised pay rate and job retention are based on meeting minimum fundraising standards, so this job is not a good fit for those seeking a guaranteed salary regardless of performance.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment

Fun, challenging, worthwhile

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

As the quote goes: "Anything in life worth having is worth working for." Working with Texas Campaign for the Environment means working to keep toxic crap out of our water, air and land – if that were easy, it would be done already. It takes heaps of patience and persistence, but as someone who has worked here for almost a decade, I can tell you that it truly is worth every effort.

Cons

For me, one "con" has been seeing many awesome, dedicated co-workers take the opportunities provided by this work to go run their own campaigns and organizations elsewhere. It's great for them of course and for all of us, but it's sad being separated from such great friends.

Advice to Management

Keep teaching passionate activists how to become effective organizers. Keep encouraging your staff to learn, grow and take on new challenges.

There are better jobs elsewhere...

Former Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX

Pros

- As mentioned on almost every review, the people you work with are phenomenal. I met passionate, interesting, and wonderful individuals at my office and it really helped make the experience bearable. - You learn about issues that you may not have known about otherwise. The environment has always been important to me, but there were issues we tackled in TCE that I had never though of before. It was interesting being able to educate myself in the process of this job.

Cons

I'm honestly surprised so many of the reviews glossed over the negatives of this job. No job is perfect - no matter how much you may love it. It's a bit skeptical that this job would receive raving reviews without any criticism of the conditions of the work. - As mentioned several times - employee turnover is quite high. It's for a multitude of reasons, honestly, but I think the main reason is that people either quit because of the conditions or because they can't meet the weekly quota. And with that... - A few bad weeks can mean being fired. You have a certain dollar amount you must earn in a night. At the end of the week, your paycheck will consist of half of the funds you raised for that week (plus some if you went over the weekly quota.) If you're new, you get a few weeks to get your spiel down and make the quota. If you don't start making the quota, you're axed (this is how more than half of the employees are lost.) -This job, at face-value, appeals to activists and people who want to inspire change, however, at it's core it's essentially a door-to-door salesperson occupation. You're generally trying to "sell" these various issues to the public. I'm not convinced I ever educated anyone on the issues. I raised enough money to stay with the organization, but raising money doesn't mean that anyone became enlightened on the issues. We may have been able to reach our legislative goals because of those funds, but I never felt like anyone cared about what we were trying to sell. - There isn't much professionalism in this occupation. Which can, admittedly, be a positive aspect for some. For me, it just felt like we were a bunch of random post-graduates knocking on doors and selling the environment. I get the casual vibe is a plus in any office, but if we're trying to raise money for an organization, should we not have a shirt or some type of garb to identify who we are? Can we at least have a dress code that ensures that we have a sense of professionalism? Half of the women I worked with didn't even put on a bra when they went to work. I just think when you're representing something, especially something as important as the issues we covered, it's important to make sure we make a good first impression. Our clients don't know us from any other person off the street, just having some standards on something as simple as dress could make a world of difference and make us feel like a legitimate organization. - Be prepared to give your nights up. You generally don't get back to the office until at least 11:00 p.m. and then you feel pressured to hang out with your co-workers afterwards - meaning, you will be accused of not being a team player if you don't choose to hang out with them. - Working outside in Texas is just hard. This isn't a fault of TCE, but it is a negative of the job. I'm just saying - during those Summer months - dehydration and heat exhaustion become a norm. - Be prepared for slammed doors in your faces. It's just a part of the territory, but after a while, it does a good job of making you feel ineffective. - Don't waste your time arguing with clients who don't support the issues. TCE states that we educate the public about the issues, but in reality, we just ask for supporters to fund our campaigns. What I mean is, at the door you state the issue and ask the client if they are interested in supporting it. If they say no, you move on. There's no point in wasting your spit in arguing with someone who is not going to change their stance for you. I quit when a new job opportunity opened up, but it's important to note that I was only with the organizations for about a month and a half. Not a long time - and I guarantee you I would have left even I wasn't offered another job. There are other jobs - better jobs - elsewhere, where you are paid and valued for your work, where you can still make a difference, and where employees enjoy better benefits. I would not recommend this job for anyone.

Advice to Management

Screen better for employees. The "Observation Day" is nothing more than a thinly veiled disguise at getting free labor. You claim it's to show future prospects the conditions of the job, but I honestly can't begin to count the number of people who left after Observation Day. Just be honest with people when you're interviewing and don't screen for "halfway sane." Screen for people who you believe will make greats salespeople and who will be effective in raising funds. Asking everyone you interview to come to an observation day, knowing the statistical chances of that person staying with the organization is just using an activist's idealism to gain free labor.