Texas Campaign for the Environment

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment

First Week

Current Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Community Organizer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Campaign for the Environment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the people i work with are really nice.

Cons

TCE is one of those faux positive work environments where all the niceness, and the light hearted games seem scripted. The work itself is not bad, but your pay is directly linked to your fundraising. The campaign only seems to care about making sure we bring in enough money. Further, their methods seem counter productive. We are out knocking on doors well after dark trying to garner support money. most people won't open the door for us. Further, none of your talent or sills are taken into consideration. I have a graduate degree pending in the social sciences. I am hoping to work my way up into an analyst position. But it seems like i have been pigeon holed as a canvasser. at best this job is a band aid, not a career, unless you want to be a door to door salesman.

read the resumes that people are bringing to you. You probably have a lot of talent that has left your organization because they were over qualified for the position you were offering them. Allow people who have proven skills in areas you use to move in that direction. Stop verbally abusing those members of the staff that do not meet arbitrary goals set by the umbrella organization. a post shift rap every time you miss goal is unnecessary and it kills moral.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment (View Most Recent)

Total Let-Down

Current Employee - Canvasser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity to learn about significant issues concerning environment/health campaigns in our state and to be with a team sharing common goal.

Cons

*they prescribe a "nice" dress code but girls don't really honor it (guys were pretty skimpy too - what's wrong with a TCE tshirt (at least)? no bra girls, seriously?
    *no bathroom break for 7 hours? I was almost begging my field manager - and never did stop.
    *the job pays minimum wage - you don't make $10/hour unless you make your quota of $160 a nite of fundraiser money (as much as they want to think it's about imparting knowledge, it comes down to getting funds)
    *some of the field managers have an attitude and aren't very respectful in their demeanor - not exactly the enthusiasm I was expecting for being the new person who is trying to be pumped up
    *you'd be better off getting the WHOLE spill of the job when you go in for the first interview instead of working five hours on the street and then learning it -
    * considering what this campaign brings in from funds, I seriously can't believe they don't pay more. it's really pretty sad. They need to be a little more "up front" about this in the job description and first interview. I basically wasted my time coming to observation day.

Be more up front about pay and do it sooner. Put some personality in your field managers. Think about a more "just" wage (considering you are campaigning for a 'justice' issue, I was expecting something more in alignment with the salary stated in the opportunity post).
    Stick to a dress code.

Fun, challenging, worthwhile

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Campaign for the Environment

Pros

As the quote goes: "Anything in life worth having is worth working for." Working with Texas Campaign for the Environment means working to keep toxic crap out of our water, air and land – if that were easy, it would be done already. It takes heaps of patience and persistence, but as someone who has worked here for almost a decade, I can tell you that it truly is worth every effort.

Cons

For me, one "con" has been seeing many awesome, dedicated co-workers take the opportunities provided by this work to go run their own campaigns and organizations elsewhere. It's great for them of course and for all of us, but it's sad being separated from such great friends.

Keep teaching passionate activists how to become effective organizers. Keep encouraging your staff to learn, grow and take on new challenges.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Campaign for the Environment