There are newer employer reviews for Texas Children's Hospital

Disconnect between leadership and IS workers

Current Employee - Epic Systems Analyst  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Epic Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay
Flexible schedules available
Nice buildings

Cons

Lack of communication between leadership and staff
Managers seldom see or speak to their employees
Little opportunity for advancement
Hiring of more very highly paid consultants who 'build and run' leaving staff to clean up their messes
Loss of key staff due to poor management
Remote workers in other cities (and on campus) who aren' t pulling their weight
Parking nearby is expensive and off-campus parking option adds 20 minutes to your commute each way
TCH isn't sending staff to Wisconsin for certification

Get to know your employees. Cut down on the number of meetings you schedule to speak to each other and schedule some with your staff. Stop canceling staff meetings to attend more leadership meetings. Ask your employees for their suggestions and opinions before you hire more consultants or change key vendors.

Figure out why you can't hire anyone local and fix it. Follow up on job offers made to local people who refuse them and find out where we're going wrong. Do surveys of the local job pool asking why they aren't considering TCH.

Get people out of the closets you've stuffed them into and put teams together. It's hard to act as a team when you never see any team members.

Allow employees time at work to study for certification
Support study groups for certification and proficiencies

62 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Children's Hospital (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, Flex hours, training (for new nursing grad). Most of the nurses I encountered really seemed to enjoy their job.

Cons

Parking, in my unit at times we would be assigned to many patients (not the ratio I was told when I interviewed). Not enough PCA's to help nurses at times.

TCH is a fine place for researchers

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pros to working at TCH for researchers include prime real estate in the med center. You have access to multiple vivariums, cores for everything, experts in almost any field nearby (MD anderson, Rice, BCM, Methodist, UT, etc.).

Cons

No 401k matching for research. Parking is expensive. Pay is average. Human resource department is average. Huge variability in lab quality. Some new lab space and alot of old, run down lab space.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Children's Hospital

Worked for Texas Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!