There are newer employer reviews for Texas Children's Hospital

Terrible Is management (no leadership) -

Former Employee - Network Security Architect  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Network Security Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

1 Great coworkers!
2. Decent benefits

Cons

Horrible management (they call themselves leadership) in Information Services
Long hours working on equipment that should have been upgraded or replace long ago.
Management does not allow down time on anything vital, causing the network and security equipment to be largely out of date. Including bad patch management.
Employees are treated with no respect.
A lot of the managers and director are bullies that constantly threaten the employees.
Employees are not allowed to attend training.
HR treats employees like chattel.
Very poor adherence to federal and state regulatory requirements.

Get rid of the current crop of VP's, Directors and about half of the managers as they are running the place into the ground. Go back to the core values of Texas Childrens Hospital that seems to have been lost at some point.
After seeing how they operate, I would never take my child to that hospital again.

62 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Children's Hospital (View Most Recent)

Disconnect between leadership and IS workers

Current Employee - Epic Systems Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Epic Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay
    Flexible schedules available
    Nice buildings

Cons

Lack of communication between leadership and staff
    Managers seldom see or speak to their employees
    Little opportunity for advancement
    Hiring of more very highly paid consultants who 'build and run' leaving staff to clean up their messes
    Loss of key staff due to poor management
    Remote workers in other cities (and on campus) who aren' t pulling their weight
    Parking nearby is expensive and off-campus parking option adds 20 minutes to your commute each way
    TCH isn't sending staff to Wisconsin for certification

Get to know your employees. Cut down on the number of meetings you schedule to speak to each other and schedule some with your staff. Stop canceling staff meetings to attend more leadership meetings. Ask your employees for their suggestions and opinions before you hire more consultants or change key vendors.

Figure out why you can't hire anyone local and fix it. Follow up on job offers made to local people who refuse them and find out where we're going wrong. Do surveys of the local job pool asking why they aren't considering TCH.

Get people out of the closets you've stuffed them into and put teams together. It's hard to act as a team when you never see any team members.

Allow employees time at work to study for certification
    Support study groups for certification and proficiencies

Good place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Children's Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, Flex hours, training (for new nursing grad). Most of the nurses I encountered really seemed to enjoy their job.

Cons

Parking, in my unit at times we would be assigned to many patients (not the ratio I was told when I interviewed). Not enough PCA's to help nurses at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Children's Hospital

Worked for Texas Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!