Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

www.tceq.texas.gov
  www.tceq.texas.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Life Work Balance Saved the Day

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent time off, generally predictable schedules

Cons

Politically motivated decision-makers seem to play politics over science.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (View Most Recent)

Unrewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

State insurance, 40 hour work week, and a few more holidays than your friends get.

Morons apparently have great job security at TCEQ.

Cons

Crap salary. If your manager is crap too, get used to it -- a lot of people stick around so they can get the retirement benefits. I don't blame them for making that rational decision, but I can blame them for being lazy, inconsistent, unappreciative, stodgy, and generally uninterested in doing anything that would lift then above the the low side of mediocre. It's not their fault that we're underpaid -- that's the nature of the beast -- but I get the sense that employee morale is not a major concern. People in the private sector may have to occasionally endure silly team-building exercises, but at least those sorts of things are intended for the purposes of morale and, yes, productivity. In my experience, TCEQ barely even makes token attempts to humanize the workplace. I had more job satisfaction working retail as a teenager... but health insurance doesn't pay for itself, so to the endless grey cubicles we must go. Obviously there's political crap governing the agency, since the commissioners are appointed by the Governor. Headlines about the agency are always depressing.

Solicit, consider, and respond to feedback. Treat employees consistently -- productivity expectations, job responsibilities, supervision, etc. If you think you're not paid enough, just remember that your employees are worse off, and that they have a very small chance of advancement. It may be a plodding, inefficient state agency, but that doesn't mean that your management style needs to be plodding and inefficient too. Remember that, particularly in departments with a wide range of ages, you may need to directly address generational issues. The workforce may be predominantly middle-aged, but that doesn't excuse sexist, insensitive, or unprofessional behavior. There are plenty of ways to make employees feel valued, so quit hiding behind low food budgets and find other ways to express appreciation. Genuine praise goes a long way.

Good place to launch a career, but don't get stuck

Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good management, very friendly co-workers
    -Establish a solid knowledge of regulations
    -Possibility to transfer internally
    -Great holiday schedule with paid time off

Cons

-Hard to get anything done b/c of management chains and bureaucracy
    -Little chance of getting personal input/suggestions heard
    -Lack of bonuses/raises for hard workers. Raises adhere to a strict standardized schedule and employees don't get rewarded outside of their prescribed ladder.
    -Commissioners appointed by the governor, and all decisions go through them. Very political.
    -Environmental agency, but the official stance is a general disbelief in climate change.

More team building and morale building would help make up for the lack of monetary compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality