Texas Department of Public Safety

Unclaimed Profile

My experience was well.

Current Employee - Guard in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Guard in Houston, TX

Pros

You don't do much, and get to study/watch movies/or surf the internet and get paid very well at comparison with other companies. You normally can get plenty of hours, but the work days can be extremely long as they only have 12 hour shifts. Good new shift leader, who can try to work things out with you if needed.

Cons

Payment can be irregular, their account isn't always reliable. No over time payment, and no holiday payment. Also Holidays are as scheduled and you cannot have them off unless requested with plenty of time in advance. Management can be less than professional, they treat you as if you were their friend or acquaintance, which can leave room for much disrespect. They rarely answer their phones and the Owner doesn't really care unless it is hurting his pocket.

Advice to Management

Let people know if they should even bother trying to cash your check. Fix your issues with the schedule.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety

THE WORST place I have ever worked in my life.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

I can't think of any, except as a consultant, your pay would be above average. But, I only talking about the IT department there. DPS, in general is a good organization and I am proud of their service to the people of Texas.

Cons

Inept managers, incompetent full-time colleagues, back-stabbing is rampant and they are very political and are proud of it. They also take pride in being uncouth and cold. Everyone is either a cowboy or a cowgirl. Redneckish.

Advice to Management

Hire a reputed management consulting firm to teach you the basics.

2. Wonderful

Current Employee - Program Supervisor I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor I in Houston, TX

Pros

Benefits, Hours, Holiday's off, Opportunities

Cons

Salary and the promise you give on that salary increase

Advice to Management

Pay employees rate for today not 20 years back and if you say an employee salary will be X amount of $ then give that. No take backs.