Texas Department of Public Safety

Very political

Current Employee - Proh in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Proh in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time

Pros

Monday-Friday job with good life work balance

Cons

Management does not value employees. Executive Leadership names are used to freely to intimidate others. Too many layers of management for an organization of this size. Remove have the managers and work will get done. Layers (8) of management create layers of BS. Very political!

Lowest paid state agency

Listen to your employees, value non-commissioned employees that work hard to help keep the troopers and citizens of Texas safe. Without the support staff this agency could not exist.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety (View Most Recent)

Low pay, decent student job

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer I in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible about time off, will schedule around college classes. This is a great job if you are a student and don't mind staying up all night. It's even possible to study some in between rounds.

Cons

Security work is very dull. Dull work, low pay, night shift work--if it paid a living wage it would be a good job. Then again, sitting in an office building all night isn't really worth a living wage.

Started out pretty interesting, slowly got boring and frustrating.

Former Employee - Assistant Mitigation Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Mitigation Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great--they have great medical and retirement plans. Co-workers were, for the most part, great.

Cons

Pay (raises were almost non-existent). Overtime overly restricted. Only those carrying a gun were considered valuable. Promotions were few and far between (someone had to die, or leave)

Consider making the Division an independent agency--take it out from under the Department; its about emergency management (hurricanes, wildfires, floods, droughts, ice storms, tornadoes) not law enforcement--I think it would probably do better under the State Guard.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety