Texas Department of Public Safety

www.txdps.state.tx.us
  www.txdps.state.tx.us
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety

Not an easy place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety as an intern (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay check, lots of paid holidays, mandatory state retirement contribution.

Cons

Management not flexible, their way or the highway. Some great bosses do exist there. Values too conservative for my taste.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety (View Most Recent)

Eh State Government

Current Employee - Auditor III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress, little pressure to meet deadlines, put in your 40 hours and you are done, depends on where you work and how much work you have

Cons

low compensation and benefits, many managers just care about getting higher in the organization and do not care about their employees, IT is back in the 90s with lots of paper processing

Learn to be better managers and care about your employees rather than your own agenda.

Your treatment is commensurate with the rank of the person you work for and if you are/aren't commissioned.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Waco, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Holidays, insurance, paid time off (vacation and sick leave), and hours. Also, you are working inside, away from the elements.

Cons

The "Good ole boy" network is alive and well, and thriving within this agency. Don't think outside the box, or for yourself. It's almost a cult-like environment and I wouldn't drink the kool-aid, thus I was insubordinate. Management does not encourage communication or informal resolution. Highway Patrol gets to pick and choose what "rules" they follow and handle their own Human Resources. The Agency HR Dept. does not dictate policy to HP. Agency spent an obscene amount of money for evaluation from outside entity. First recommendation: Cut the fat at the top. DPS reaction: Create more positions as Deputy Assistant Directors & Regional Commanders with ridiculous salaries, meanwhile non-comm personnel receive a 1/2 of 1% raise, the first in 3 years.

Get real. People who are running things have no idea how things run. Appreciate the support staff. It's nice to hear "We couldn't do what we do without our Administrative Assistants", but those words won't buy groceries or pay a mortgage or car payment.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety