Texas Department of Public Safety

www.txdps.state.tx.us
  www.txdps.state.tx.us
There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety

It's been a great job. Over 20 years here as a commissioned officer.

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety

Pros

Freedom to plan your work. Competent supervision except for the Highway Patrol.

Cons

Micro-management in the Highway Patrol.

Expand the management pool to candidates from other Divisions.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety (View Most Recent)

Good place to get experience and have good benefits with the exception of retirement plan.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety

Pros

Great place to get hands on experience with computer technology in a large enterprise environment. Good work / life balance.

Cons

Very poor compensation... and the retirement plan is pathetic. Basically you are forced into paying a minimum of 3% into a 401(k) that does not match....you're not even given a choice...mandatory participation in a very poor investment...no interest / no matching...as a matter of fact, it's like negative cash flow since inflation will eat away at this stagnant savings account.

Better pay / better retirement savings plan with choices.

Once a great agency, now a bit of a disappointment.

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety

Pros

My management is very flexible with work schedules and time off. I have heard however that some divisions are really bad. First line supervisors tend to be really friendly and still connected to their employees. Great number of paid holidays and personal/sick time. Health care is free (except the ever increasing co-pays).

Cons

Management does not understand what it means to care about their people's opinions and they will (I have heard and seen it myself) tell you that they do not care. Policing has turned political and that is unfortunate. Promotions and appointments seem to happen daily and half the time they are questionable at best. Parking is ridiculous. Get to work at 7 or plan on walking a lot! Extremely underpaid....to the tune of about 30% below compariable jobs in the Federal system. We would need a 20% raise to just catch up to late 1980s pay (marked for inflation). Its sad.

Learn to communicate with your people, and at least pretend to care. Stop walking around with a chip on your shoulders and hire people who care, or at least are qualified for mid-management positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Texas Department of Public Safety