Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Unclaimed Profile

Meh

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, state holidays off, holiday and sick time build up, good retirement

Cons

This job all depends on what unit you are in. Your OUM and PC can make your job a nightmare. Mine do everything in their power to find something wrong with your work. If you don't agree, too bad. Management does not defend you against reviews and treat you like a child. If you ask questions, you are called rude and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take responsibility and remove poor OUM and PC choices.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It changed my view on State Government!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a great supervisor or manager then you can learn many things and grow professionally.

Cons

There are areas where I have seen cruelty and abuse. I have seen laws broken and people crushed. I have seen careers ruined because management: upper management turns their head maybe due to fear. I worked almost 20 years. There are some whom have broken laws. Even with the accolades, bonuses and raises it was a waste of my life and the worst decision I ever made. Turn over = waste of money for tax payers who are your boss.

Advice to Management

Transparency. Checks and Balances. Stop abuse of the abusers. Trust your gut and make it right even with the fear. Stop promotion of your careers at the expense of those who did the work for you to get there. Include Civil Right, OGC, an outside source, HR, staff and management. Stop allowing management to do whatever they want to do. Illegal.

Worst job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Texas Works Advisor
    Current Employee - Texas Works Advisor

I have been working at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get most holidays off and the first few months are the easiest pay check you will ever receive.

Cons

management does not know what they are doing, the potential for growth beyond the TWA II position is a joke unless you are brown nosing the right people, training is tedious at best and is effectively several months of your life wasting your small paycheck driving across the region to review a dry/dense policy handbook that could put Foucault to shame, you are expected to be nothing more than a drone with no sense of free thought or critical reasoning... most people can expect to be looking for a new job within 4-6 months of starting here which causes a turnover rate that is worse than any restaurant I have ever seen or worked at..... At the end of the day you will hate your life and question why you spent so much time and money going to school to end up in this physical version of Hell.... oh and if you do accept this job make sure that you are excellent at budgeting your life because this salary is not worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and try actually learning how to do your employee's job before you try to rip them a new one for something they did correctly.