Texas Instruments

www.ti.com

TI is a great place to work but there are some concerns.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood work enviroment; diversity is seen as a business strength; most managers are easy to work with and fair; many people have 10, 15 or 20+ years of experience; respect for the employees and individual contributors; good compensation; fairly good benefits (costs held steady this year for insurance). Overall, I've been happy at TI for a career that has lasted here over fifteen years doing a variety of software support and projects. There have been good opportunities to learn new things and work with the business people around the world.

ConsAt times I've seen people bullied at work by certain managers who are moved around but their behaviour does not get punished in any visible way, despite having an anti-bullying program in the past few years. TI has a very conservative corporate culture and it can be difficult to raise certain topics. Those of us that are more diverse ethnically, religiously, politically etc. may not feel open to discussing topics that bother us in our workplace for fear of reprisal. Women and minorities are promoted but there aren't that many women or minorities in senior management or on the board of directors. There seems to be better representation at the lower levels of management at least in my area of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the effects of the economy on work force:
Please don't let the economic downturn cause you to make poor decisions about areas to cut. TI employees are willing to work very hard for no raise in 2009, please try to limit impact of a layoff in all areas including the "overhead" support functions like finance, IT and facilities. I'm afraid the cutbacks will go too hard and we will have trouble getting up to speed when the economic recovery is in progress to support the business growth cycle.

On management practices:
Engineers are the "kings" at TI, and those of us in other fields are sometimes made to feel less important or respected even though we are experts in our own fields. Higher level management has usually come through the engineering ranks at TI, possibly a reason that not more women are in the higher levels of management here.

Engineer point of view -- good

Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros: Texas Instruments is a very good company with their employees... They pay special… Cons: Is a very big company, so you get pretty familiar with a small portion of… Advice to Senior Management: I wonder why they don't consider keeping business that will return a least a healthy 15% profit, like wireless modems... seems to me in this… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

TI is headed in the wrong direction

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros: Strong technical talent at TI. Engineers are given the… Cons: Poor business teams that fail to execute. Technical success does not translate to product success given business team failures. Management team communicates business… Advice to Senior Management: This company has shown no ability to execute on an embedded strategy. The inability… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Texas Instruments.

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!