There are newer employer reviews for Texas Instruments

great company to work for if you can keep your job

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Machine Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work culture and work environment. Great coworkers but sometimes the supervisors are not very friendly.

Cons

The problem is that layoffs occurs quite frequently. And if you're not lucky, you'll be out of job.

Other Employee Reviews for Texas Instruments

1. Great place to learn, but environment is changing.

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, good work life balance, great and very intelligent teams.

Cons

New direction seems to be towards commodities - both in products and in people. Lack of commitment to talent development outside of EE design teams.

Advice to Management

Hard to advise management, as the con above aligns with their goals. Should this change, I'd be more willing to recommend this company to others as a job destination.

2. Challenging work, keeps your skills current

Pros

- Always have challenging work. You won't become a dinosaur working here. - I've never heard of a more humane company when it comes to family emergencies or personal issues (assuming you don't have a history of abusing their trust) such as death in the family, hospital leave, etc. - You will work with the smartest, gentlest people and will love going to work. There is a strong emphasis on teamwork and egalitarianism. They must intentionally look for collaborators because there are very few bullies or uber-negative competitive types. If you're type A personality but also ethical and respectful, you'll fit right in. - True flex time. Work overtime when its needed and take off when it isn't. No one cares when you arrive and when you leave as long as you perform above a certain level. (You have to earn the privilege first, so not many people abuse the system.) This is the first place I've ever worked where I wasn't frustrated by deadbeats. - Truly collaborative. The web team doesn't one-up each other. Everyone is hired for a specific talent, and is expected to exchange ideas and help each other. If I don't know how to code a particular feature, I can literally go ask around and people are excited to pitch in. (The web is so splintered, there are a lot of processes, and we change things so quickly that this is really critical. No one can make it alone in this game anymore!)

Cons

- Onramping is difficult. Things change quickly and we're interdependent. Just chill for the first year and half -- all your colleagues went through this too. Do not expect to be 100% independent as quickly as you would be elsewhere. No one will blame you. Its just part of working for a fast-paced, global company.

Advice to Management

Managers tend to be a unintuitive when it comes to human limitations, but once they get it your manager will step in and work it out. However, I wonder if manager training needs to be re-evaluated. I know many people try to get away with as little work as possible but you don't have any of those people here. Learn to discern when that conversation is a last resort from when it's merely escapism. Everything else is pretty great.