rising star of Texas..?

Current Employee - Graduate Instructional Assistant in San Marcos, TX
Current Employee - Graduate Instructional Assistant in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Texas State part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots going on in the department : research and teaching. Diverse student body, beautiful campus, and decent pay. Teaching is rewarding in itself and allows opportunity to learn more in depth the subject at hand. Decent facilities.

Cons

not so great equipment.. some things are state-of-the-art, high-dollar equipment, but some instruments, and basic equipment like scales and bench hardware are generally out-of-date and/ or malfunctioning thus need to be replaced. The management of the department on the lower level is rather unorganized and slow. Also, the facilities are rather messy as if no custodial staff and paint peels from the wall with lots of other interior infrastructure problems. The university has plenty of money, so a clean, well-maintained building is not too much of a burden and should be done more often. The faculty members are very busy.

Advice to Management

Lab manuals including prelab and post lab excercises need to be revised greatly for most labs. And those doing the revisions should be compensated appropriately, because that is the only way they will actually do it and do it well. The department needs to have an expansion on space available with an addition of more class rooms and more lab space. Also, more staff members need to be hired. The current staff falls a bit short on meeting the demands of the department. Also, stronger training efforts need to be taken for the teaching assistants especially the first year TA's. Manuals for instruments need to more available to the student body. Also, the department should supply gloves for the undergraduate students. Regulations were changed a few years ago, stating that the department no longer was to supply gloves and that students would need to bring their own to labs, thus often leaving it to the students discretion as to whether to have gloves. The result has been that students neglect the use of gloves and their personal protection from harsh chemicals used in the labs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The best employer a Student could have in San Marcos.

Former Employee - Campus Recreation in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Campus Recreation in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Texas State part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You never need a car to get to your job on campus because you can just take the tram from anywhere int he city or you can usually just walk.

Cons

You don't get paid too much (but that's expected with a part-time student job)
    Students are limited the amount of hours they can work

2. Best school job I could ever have!

Former Employee - Department of Criminal Justice - Graduate Assistant in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Texas State full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave me opportunities to network with people I otherwise would have never met, allowed me to broaden my skill base, and enhanced my research skills

Cons

Occasionally dealing with rude or dishonest students...otherwise it was a great job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!